Leveling clay soil with a small soft spot for intex 12x24 xtr pool

h0va4life

Jul 23, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I had somebody out and they maybe stopped a little early - they mentioned fear of getting the equipment stuck. There is a small soft spot.

picture

How can I finish this off without too much additional work? There are treads from the equipment in the site.

I was thinking maybe I can get away with regular gravel and then putting carpet on top to prevent the rocks from damaging the pool.

Regarding the pavers/wood for the legs - do I still need those to be on top of the dirt or could that be dug into the gravel? These are the xtr pool u shaped legs.

Last edited:
Looks pretty soft. It would be ideal to let it dry a bit more if possible. You mentioned carpet, but have you also considered insulation panels or Gorilla Pads? Like a carpet, those might be helpful in covering anything you might use to spot-fill some of the equipment spots. A good sand base before padding might also be helpful. As for leg supports, I would still use pavers or large wood planks/boards to ensure those don't try to sink into the soil.

Reactions: h0va4life
Looks pretty soft. It would be ideal to let it dry a bit more if possible. You mentioned carpet, but have you also considered insulation panels or Gorilla Pads? Like a carpet, those might be helpful in covering anything you might use to spot-fill some of the equipment spots. A good sand base before padding might also be helpful. As for leg supports, I would still use pavers or large wood planks/boards to ensure those don't try to sink into the soil.

Thank you!

I've considered all the different layerings/bases - I initially was hoping to just put a tarp then foam boards but then I got all of these tire tracks. I've read that the gorilla/rhino pad dont provide that much comfort and you still need sand - just overpriced weed barrier felt.

So now I am just looking for the cheapest, least manual, no dig (besides foot supports) solution that will cover the tracks and set me up for a base.

I might just wait til it drys out more and try to get those tracks out with a garden rake then tamp down any disturbed ground. This is clay so definitely not easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.