Leveling Area for Above Ground Pool on Astroturf

Legs exert a tremendous amount of pressure per square inch. The pavers are used to spread that pressure over more area. You could also use pressure treated wood. If not using pavers, the pressure would very likely dig into the granite surface.
Thank you for the clarification! I’m just concerned that, due to the proximity of legs to the liner, the pavers under the feet would be a potential hazard to the liner (sharp edges could puncture it)

Thank you for the clarification! I’m just concerned that, due to the proximity of legs to the liner, the pavers under the feet would be a potential hazard to the liner (sharp edges could puncture it)
Or are you suggesting to dig the depth of each paver so the surface will be level throughout? That makes a bit more sense, not to mention each leg being unnecessarily raised 1-2”

Sorry, I have been travelling the past few days and haven't had much time for the Internet. I think this would be a good plan as well, you just have to make sure the crushed stone is contained. Buy the thinnest paver block you can find at your favorite big box store and recess it level in the gravel under each leg. It should work well. Keep in mind when it rains or the pool water is splashed out the water will have to go somewhere. It is going to run down through the gravel and run out from under the box. I am not familiar with your AstroTurf, but I assume water runs through it into the ground. If that is the case you will want to put something on the turf under the gravel for easy cleanup that will allow the water to pass through and soak into the ground. I use weed control fabric for this and it has always worked great.

So we decided to just level the spaces under each of the legs. If the pool survives this season we may take greater measures to dig up the turf and level the entire ground-area next year.. but that may be a big “if”... using paver stones/2x4s under the legs seems to have worked with regard to the water level in the pool (only varying about 1.5-2”), although the liner is still bulging out at the bottom of the pool.

When we initially filled the pool without doing any leveling, about 1/2 way, there was a high variance in the water level across the pool and considerable bulging at the bottom.. it was very evident that leveling would be needed. Now that the legs are (mostly) level, the interior water level is much more consistent and while the exterior bulging at the bottom isn’t nearly as bad as prior to leveling it’s definitely still there. So my question: is it safe to use the pool despite the bulging, or does the liner need to run straight down all around the pool?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 198A6BEE-9C6B-4C25-8A79-D21F52A90C75.jpeg
    198A6BEE-9C6B-4C25-8A79-D21F52A90C75.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 67A01964-36A2-425D-8DF8-E45205ED0254.jpeg
    67A01964-36A2-425D-8DF8-E45205ED0254.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 13F12F19-BF54-4950-9FDC-C37588D9655C.jpeg
    13F12F19-BF54-4950-9FDC-C37588D9655C.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 49B567A6-1A22-4A32-B3E2-35456ADC57A7.jpeg
    49B567A6-1A22-4A32-B3E2-35456ADC57A7.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 4833C4E7-DB86-4CA1-8E9C-AF9DC9D98B11.jpeg
    4833C4E7-DB86-4CA1-8E9C-AF9DC9D98B11.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks again everyone for your input and assistance so far. We’re excited to beat the south Texas heat to day in our new pool ?
Another question, however. Is the plug for the pump water-resistant? Is there a way/need to keep it away from water (pool splashing, rain, etc.)?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Are you still pondering that level issue? In most scenarios, we advise owners to cut-out or dig down the high side to make the pool level since "adding" to the low side generally isn't as stable. Obviously you can't cut through the high side. But 5-6 inches is a good bit of elevation to compensate for. Once you add all the water weight, whatever is added to the low side needs to be strong enough to support the water under the line and the supporting posts. Here at TFP, we recommend AGPs be leveled to within one inch to avoid uneven pressure to the walls and potential collapse. But post back with your progress, questions, or thoughts about how to achieve your goal. Hopefully others will reply as well. Good luck!
Hi, what was the outcome?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, thank you everyone for your advice! So many good ideas. However, in all honesty, I'm not nearly as handy as I ought to be. I agree that either constructing a deck-like platform or excavating and leveling from there would be the best idea, but I really want to leave as minimal a "footprint" as possible. The pool is 15' x 48" (good guess Bret S.) so I think I'm planning to lay 19'x19' tarp, and then use crushed granite on top of that and rake to level. Finally I'll lay the 16'x16' tarp that came with the pool on top of the granite and fold the excess edges of the bottom tarp over. And then put the pool on top of that.

Let me know what you guys think.
did the crushed granite work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.