Letting rain water fill pool?

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
So, they’re coming to level tomorrow & then we can FINALLY start putting our pool up!!! BUT.... I checked the weather & of course, it’s gonna rain all weekend. Hasn’t rained here in a month, but now that our pool is going up, it’s gonna pour. Has anyone let the rain water help to fill their pool? Not real sure I want to even consider that, but it came up in conversation so I thought I’d ask the pros. I went ahead & ordered a huge tarp today from Uline at work just to be safe bc part of me just wants to treat the entire pool area like a little bubble & just wait for the weather to pass. But my heart literally fluttered when I got the text that he will be here tomorrow to level.lol

Rain water is the best fill water ever! Wish I could get some!

Just add chlorine. And treat it as a regular fill. Test and add what is needed.

Here in the land of 4-digit CH readings, I love rainwater. Don't get much, but I do direct a downspout to the pool to capture what I can.

If the pool is in a hole, partially fill it before the rains hit, otherwise water may get under the liner and mess it up before it fills. A few inches. If you're stuck with a wrinkle, you're stuck with it for keeps.

Nothing wrong with rainwater. It’s probably the best thing you can fill your pool with (aside from bottled water) as it has no calcium in it, minimal alkalinity and neutral pH. The stuff coming out of your hose (municipal or well) has far more “stuff” in it that’s potentially needs corrective treatment.

I top my pool off every year with rain water. I have 4 275 gallon totes that i fill up and pump them into the pool. I start filling as soon as the ice thaws on the cover in late winter. Then when the weather breaks im good to go. I also do it early so i dont have to worry about tree buds and pollen in the water.

Here in the land of 4-digit CH readings, I love rainwater. Don't get much, but I do direct a downspout to the pool to capture what I can.

If the pool is in a hole, partially fill it before the rains hit, otherwise water may get under the liner and mess it up before it fills. A few inches. If you're stuck with a wrinkle, you're stuck with it for keeps.

Thank you! It is in a hole, so I will definitely do that. I actually read somewhere on here like a year ago to fill trash bags with water to put at our four corners to smooth it & make sure it doesn’t have wrinkles, which I thought was an absolute genius idea! I am beyond grateful for TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.