Let's talk sun shelfs....

JHCB

Jul 27, 2020
Orlando
Hello!
I have searched and read tons of posts here regarding so many topics. I have read so much about sun shelf depths and seems like most people are suggesting 9" depth, but just wanted to ask for opinions. I love this Forum!! Everyone is so helpful!!

So...I wanted to ask for opinions on if you are happy with the water depth for your sun shelf? If so...what is the depth? If not...what depth do you have and why do you not like it....too deep...too shallow?

Also...would love to see what your sun shelf furniture looks like? I would like 2 chairs / or loungers....with a small table and umbrella. I know some of these loungers are real expensive. Not sure I want to spend that much $$ if there's a decent alternative.

Appreciate any feedback!!

Reactions: Carnut12
Here are our ledge lounger chairs in our 9" deep ledge. We liked the feel of the chair version rather than their traditional lounger, and they were $100 cheaper.

I originally intended to get the umbrella table in between the two, but those have to be used in conjunction with the in ledge umbrella sleeve, but we do not have those. Our builder talked us out of the in-ledge sleeves and we went with ones in the pavers (you can see one at the bottom left of the picture). His logic was that if a gust of wind hits the umbrella you would rather risk damaging a replaceable paver vs something in the plaster.

IMG_6662 (6).jpg

We have an 8x8 sunshelf. We use the inexpensive adirondack chairs from Lowes. I'll measure the depth for you in the morning.

Attachments

• 20190721_142247~2.jpg
    20190721_142247~2.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: JHCB
If you want it to be used for furniture then you will want it on the shallow side. Ours is used as a play area and also for people to relax in the water but not swimming so ours is deeper, 15”. If you want the loungers I think you need to decide if you want to be out of the water or a little in. If you look at the top picture, the water doesn’t come up to where you are sitting. If you want a bit of water on you to help keep you cool, then you might want it more like 12”.

Here are our ledge lounger chairs in our 9" deep ledge. We liked the feel of the chair version rather than their traditional lounger, and they were $100 cheaper.

I originally intended to get the umbrella table in between the two, but those have to be used in conjunction with the in ledge umbrella sleeve, but we do not have those. Our builder talked us out of the in-ledge sleeves and we went with ones in the pavers (you can see one at the bottom left of the picture). His logic was that if a gust of wind hits the umbrella you would rather risk damaging a replaceable paver vs something in the plaster.

View attachment 319354
Thank you for your response. Your sun shelf looks great!! So your water depth is 9"? Or it's 6" deep and 3" to the top of coping? I like those chairs too!! I saw the table that they have for an umbrella....and you have to have the umbrella sleeve for that to work?? I was hoping that would be a good compromise to not have a sleeve...and just have the umbrella table that they offer.

If you want it to be used for furniture then you will want it on the shallow side. Ours is used as a play area and also for people to relax in the water but not swimming so ours is deeper, 15”. If you want the loungers I think you need to decide if you want to be out of the water or a little in. If you look at the top picture, the water doesn’t come up to where you are sitting. If you want a bit of water on you to help keep you cool, then you might want it more like 12”.
Thank you for the info! It's funny....I like sitting in the water while my husband prefers not to....LOL!

Reactions: Nikilyn
Agree.
That looks great!! Yes, I'd be curious what your water depth is on the sun shelf? Thank you!!
Water depth is 7.5 inches. I like that people can sit with their feet in the water without getting their tushies wet, and babies can sit and splash. I also like that the chairs are light enough to pick up out of the sun shelf and move around depending on what we're doing.

Regarding the in pool side tables....Even when filled with water the weight of the table when its in the water is not sufficient to hold a large umbrella without using an in pool sleeve. I believe a 6 or 7 foot umbrella with a 1.5" or 2" pole is all that is suggested and for some thats sufficient if the umbrella tilts. The table holes are 2" so if you buy a small umbrella chances are its got a 1.5" pole and they can send you a rubber adapter that helps keep the umbrella from wiggling around in the 2" table hole. Best to have a 2" pole for the 2" hole imho. If you have an umbrella sleeve then you are good to go with larger umbrellas as the tables simply have holes from top to bottom that the umbrella slides through.
Regarding chairs and depth of ledge water - Some of the newer ones I've see that work on deeper tanning ledges: Costarondack Chair / Moon Splash Chair / Mibster Splash Chair

Attachments

• Moon Splash Chair on Tanning Ledge.jpg
    Moon Splash Chair on Tanning Ledge.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Mibster Splash Chair for Tanning Ledge.jpg
    Mibster Splash Chair for Tanning Ledge.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 67

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started the plan with 9” shelf but changed to 18” after visiting a friend’s pool. I found out that I wanted a play area instead of sitting area. My recommendation, if you can, is to visit a pool that have a sun shelf and find what works for you. Mine is 7x7ft with 18” depth, there is one step at around 9” and another around 27-30”. The steps made it feel a bit small, if I was starting again I would make it longer (10 or 12 x 7). Just my 2c :)

We have an 8x8 sunshelf. We use the inexpensive adirondack chairs from Lowes. I'll measure the depth for you in the morning.
I like that idea! I hate to even think of taking another loan out to buy a couple loungers. :mrgreen:

I love how your umbrella matches your pool finish.

If you plan to have bubblers, think through that as well. I believe water depth over about 10" will require tubes in the bubblers to get a good effect (I am no expert on this). We went with 9" water depth, previous pool was around 7". We have a 5-y/o and twin 18 mo olds. We didn't want to go too deep for the girls to play on there comfortably. By the time they are growing out of it, we'll add loungers and they can use the whole pool.

Thank you for your response. Your sun shelf looks great!! So your water depth is 9"? Or it's 6" deep and 3" to the top of coping? I like those chairs too!! I saw the table that they have for an umbrella....and you have to have the umbrella sleeve for that to work?? I was hoping that would be a good compromise to not have a sleeve...and just have the umbrella table that they offer.
I actually just measured and the water depth is currently 7". I wouldn't go shallower than 7", but also the LL Chairs are only good up to 9", so I wouldn't go deeper if you want the chairs.

did you end up getting these chairs? any pics?
These photos show the only $20 Adirondack that has survived, as well as the two new $100 chairs. They are very comfortable and sturdy. I recommend them!

Attachments

• PXL_20210715_202929491.jpg
    PXL_20210715_202929491.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20210715_202920006.jpg
    PXL_20210715_202920006.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 86
Our ledge is 18inches. (Water depth) We wanted it to be a play area, and also a nice spot to sit in a decent depth. It's perfect. Our PB also installed returns on the side of the step going to the 18" shelf, so if you sit on the shelf, it hits right in your middle back. Nice spit to relax.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.