Let the games begin...

All the approvals are in, and we’re clear to start rolling, JUST as the thunderstorms start to roll in back to back! Dig should start Monday, if forecast holds true, so we aren’t getting our hopes up just yet.

I’ll have a few more details to post in a couple days when we spray the perimeter, then I’ll start the photo documentation process.

Thanks for all the replies!

Agree, whole heartedly. The more I read, the more I'm thinking they've priced down to bare necessities, to land the bid, vs answering my question of "What would you truly recommend, if building for yourself and the long term". VS is on the list of requirements.

I'm going to request specific models, so I can look up specs, for sure. The common thread on the Nature2 system seems to be consistent. Simply Don't. So, I'll get their recommendation on other options, or justify the need for that 'feature', rather. I'll follow up on the filter sizing.

The design really came out well! They knocked that portion out of the park, from my expectations. It was one conversation, and he only had our survey to go off of (office is about 45 minutes out), so that was what he brought, when he first came to the house. I gave a handful of non negotiable, and left the rest to him.

The metals produced, and the eventual staining are also commonly referenced. I've spoken with two other local builders who came recommended. Both were pretty adamant against salt, with one (coming Tuesday to bid) stating "I'm the owner of this pool company, and I had a salt pool and had a bad time with it, and we installed a great system. We guarantee you won't have issues, like you will with Salt in our area"
A friend of our's built about 4 years ago and I asked them what they would do different. "Chlorine setup, not a salt setup" was the first thing out of their mouth. This was followed by a much larger VS pump, better heater, and lighter color unite.

I'll revisit the automation for some more info. He acted like it was a ton of money, and not that much of an inconvenience, but I don't believe I fully understood what would be required manually, without it. I don't mind turning valves, back flushing, testing, adjusting, etc. I'm just an ol' plant operator (console now, but outside technician for quite a while) so working equipment and understanding optimal ranges is definitely within my wheelhouse. That said, I don't want to skip on convenience/excellence, if its within reach and not excessive.
I've been in a few Gunite spas, as that is largely what is around here. Is there any specific element you're referencing? I'm open!
We love, love, love our automation. 100% worth it for us. We use it all the time. It would be such a pain to have to walk to the equipment to do everything we do with automation.

Reactions: PlaysARobin
So happy for you that you're starting! Just weighing in on the wet edge signature matrix.

I am a complete tenderfoot, never go without shoes or slippers and I love the signature matrix. To me it feels very soft and smooth to walk or sit on.

Only problem I've had is inadvertantly scraping my foot when kicking off the ends. I think any hard surface would be rough in that scenario.

Hope all goes smoothly with your build.

Reactions: PlaysARobin
It has begun... Finalized the layout with the PB, they staked it out and removed the fence. Made a couple amendments to the equipment pad location and away they went.

Its gonna be hot, so yesterday after work I did swing by and grab a few cases of water, gatorade and some ice. The ice chest is stocked up and has been made available to those guys.

Dig, rebar, rough plumbing today, inspection in the AM and Gunite tomorrow afternoon is his plans. These guys aren't playing around.

Only hiccup was the PB (while turning around in our corner with dump trucks and equipment everywhere) hit one of our neighbors trees, and laid it over. The wife wasn't too thrilled, but it'll all get sorted. He let me know right when it happened so I'll work that out with the neighbors and he's gonna cover it.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 68
Not too far off! Silver travertine, split face travertine on spa and raised wall. Plaster though, will be a medium aquamarine hue. Wet edge Kaleidoscope, not the quartzscape blue in the attached photo. We weren't happy with the initial options presented, so after inquiring further, she says "Oh yeah, we offer some higher end stuff". I'm gonna look for the pic we took of the waterline and rolled edge tile selections, and attach it. Wanted to keep the hardscape portions of the pool subtle, so the water can be a nice contrast, then allow some simple landscaping/furniture touches to accent. My wife is the graphic designer, so I kinda roll with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 63

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is all so pretty! That plaster is really going to pop!!!

What color grout will you be using with the small tile?

The 6x6 tile will need to be gone through when it gets there. With the variance in the colors there might be some really pretty ones and some really ugly ones. Hide the ugly ones and have them put the really pretty ones where your eyes will fall when someone walks out to look at the pool. Most of the time that will be on the far wall. (yeah I have control issues LOL but I want your pool to be pretty!).

Kim:kim:

3 guys. 7 hours. Done.

Impressive work, for sure. They drank all the gatorade and almost all of the water I left, so it gets refilled in the morning. Rebar crew at 6am, rough plumbing in parallel. Inspection at noon and Gunite at 2, if all goes well. If any delays, then gunite will happen first thing Thursday am.

@kimkats Absolutely going to pick where tiles go. I haven't done a TON of tile work, but I've done enough to know that you have some that are better than others, for sure! House side, deep end will predominantly get the 'lessor' tiles. Haven't decided yet on grout color for the small tiles, but I know a pewter/medium gray color was discussed to help tie in the silver travertine, without going too monochromatic. Again, we want the water to be the focal point, and by we, I mean my wife! :)

At one point during this process should I order the TFTest kit? I figure now won't hurt, as it'll give me a chance to work with it and do a few tests on my water well in advance of fill. PB says 35 days from dig to swim, and he actually finished a build in an adjacent neighborhood in 27 days, soooo.......

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 54
Still so clean and neat! Just wait until the plumbing and electric trenches get started :roll: LOL that is when that pretty yard goes bye-bye!

Test kit-I would order it when they do the shell. I would also think about getting the whale wall brush. It really helps with the brushing especially when it is new and you are brushing it every day. I can't remember if you are doing a SWG. If so then then get the salt test kit (drop one) as well. Now if you are going all of the way throw in a speed stir. It makes the testing faster and even easier!

Kim:kim:

Sounds good! I'll order the test kit this week, and likely the bundle. Heard enough about the whale brush and speed stir that it seemed to be a no brainer. We are going with a SWG (IC40) so I'll add that test kit if its not in the bundle (K something or another, if I remember correctly).

Rebar crew was here at 5:55. Gave those guys the water, gatorade and ice in the chest and let them know I was here if they needed anything. Kicked on the string lights and they were well on their way with the work. It seems optimistic, but Gunite within 24 hours seems likely.

6am, as scheduled. Rebar/rough plumbing guys showed up and jumped right in. Kicked on all of our porch lights and away they went.

4 hours later? Results, I tell ya.

Just text the PB to let him know we need gray covers for these skimmers. Not having a tan sore thumb amidst everything else, as designed and planned.

Anyone see anything of concern? If inspection passes (an hour from now) Gunite happens at 2pm.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 45
I am very impressed how your install is proceeding so rapidly. Mine is going well but always a day or two between events - excavation and rebar complete - plumbing on Friday. Best of luck in getting the inspection done on time.

Bob

I'm not saying this is record pace or anything, but I'm definitely taken back by the rate of pace. Only gripe for this stage is the noise, vehicles and inconvenience wasn't communicated too well, so I've begun apologizing to some neighbors for not giving fair warning. Wife says some fruit baskets are in order, and I agree. We had no idea the level of noise the equipment would generate.

Rebar and stub plumbing was done at 10:00, Inspection was signed off at 1pm, Gunite crew showed up set up tarps and plastic at 2:30, and started spraying at 3pm.
In summary? It will have only been 36 hours from first stake, to completed Gunite. In progress, as we speak, and they're a little over 1/3 done.

7 days of watering, then they'll be back to start travertine. They'll begin setting the equipment pad, rough plumbing routes and get electrical run over the next two days, then back next week. He jokingly said he may set a personal record on this one. Keep in mind, he quoted 35 days from start to finish before we signed contract.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 65
Impressed, and astonished. 36 hours from the first stake to the clean up from the Gunite crew. I'll take some nicer pics in the AM after sunrise. Have to take the down payment and plaster upgrade payment in and finalize our selection sheet, and I'll get the next phase of the schedule.

For now, only instructions are to water 2-3 times a day for the next 7 to aid the curing process.

Oh, and Kim, I ordered the test kit bundle, along with the salt test kit this morning! It is however, VERY nice to get MY links!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 49
Plumbers started at 06:30, and worked through a good portion of the day. Equipment is set. DE Filter was replaced with the cartridge filter (and I'm good with that, as it was my preference initially) due to the fact that the sewer line is in the front. Pentair VSF Pump was set in place, 11056 I believe. Wasn't the one we originally talked about, but I also think this isn't an issue. If anyone has an opinion on that, let me know.

System is pressured up to 25psi, which I assume is for the inspection. What sucks is, I'd asked for a gas line to be buried and run to the opposite side of the pool for an eventual fire pit, but that didn't happen. Side deal, not part of the contract.

I've gotta get the flow chart built, if they're not gonna provide one, but I'll also go through and label everything when I get the details.

Day 3? Success, I'd say. @kimkats its becoming a dirt playground, now!

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 71

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.