Let the fun begin in La Quinta

Mike Clarke

Apr 16, 2019
La Quinta California
Well the dig officially started this morning at 7am. No surprises yet so that is good news to report. Excavation is expected to take 2 days and then straight into steel and plumbing. By the end of the week we should be ready for gunite which is scheduled for 5/29 of next week. Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks everyone for the feedback on questions I had asked in another thread that got me confidently to this point.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    837.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.42.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.42.42 PM.png
    896.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_9977.jpg
    IMG_9977.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: NorCalX
Thanks guys.

Drones are great. The newer DJI ones pretty much fly themselves, my 6 year old has no problem flying it around our backyard (that might have to change now that there will be a big pool in the middle of it though...).

Has anyone ever said I think the pool might be too big?... Maybe it's just because it is dug bigger due to gunite and plaster thicknesses but it seems bigger than anticipated.
IMG_9992.jpg

Didn't you say that last year as well?

I have one that I can send to you. The wife would LOVE for me to thin out the hanger.

I don't remember saying that, but I was sure thinking about it. It's just hard to justify an $800 toy.

That pool will shrink up a bit Mike. Can't wait to see the backyard done.

LOVE your design!!

Okay I am jumping in a little late but not too late.

Are you ready for your first pool job? Take your plans and a tape measure out to the pool. Is it long, wide, deep, etc enough? Add about 6" for the shell and plaster. The water depth should be to the middle of the skimmer face.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL on the gunite envy!

I see you have already started water it with the sprinkler. Make sure to hand water some of it so you can really bond with it!

Here is a set of links I put together to help pick out plaster and such:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

So what tile do you like? 6x6? 1x2? Glass (please say yes as I LOVE it's BLING), porcelain? I will help you pick it out! I LOVE to spend other people's money! hehe

HAHA on the gunite envy, it is a real thing. I felt the same way before we started the dig.

Yeah it is starting to warm up so I have been spending a bunch of time with the shell. Hand watering 3 times a day and sprinkler/soaker on a timer watering a couple more while I am at work during the hot part of the day.

Thank you for the links. I have seen them posted by you so many times and now I have my own pile of reading to do!!

Right now we are looking at 1x1, 1x2, and 2x3 glass tiles, see the image below, for the waterline and edge marking tile. We like Tahoe Blue mini stonescapes probably with some glass in it. The raised beam and the spa dam wall is where we are a bit stumped, I don't think we want glass tile all over that so maybe some type of cobblestone???

glass tile.png

Oh I am liking your ideas for this pretty glass with the stone for the other places. It will make each piece stand out.

Now with the glass tile..........the mortar color is VERY important. Go get some paint cards........off white, light gray, med. gray, white. Put them where the pool is going to be with the tile on them. Which one do you like the best? There is not wrong answer.

Next think about the grout for the water line tile........white will make each one pop, light gray will help them blend in together.

For the tile on the benches and such you will want to use the plaster instead of grout.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I think we finally have the pool surface, tile, and stone all picked out. Waiting for some samples that needed to be ordered before we know for sure but I think we got it. I will post some pictures when the samples come in next week.

The build is progressing along. Trenching was done last week, man right when you think this backyard is a wreck but it isn't so bad, it starts looking like this. True war zone now...

I have a question regarding the rebound that was piled up behind the pool. There will be a raised patio back there behind the RBB above the rebound pile. Since the ground was undisturbed soil behind the RBB and the rebound was put directly on top of that can I use that as part of the base for the concrete that will be poured on top of that area?

IMG_3468.jpegtrenching.jpgtrench.jpg

Reactions: NorCalX
Well plumbing is coming to an end so now on to getting rid of some of this dirt, and getting to work on the concrete coping and patio. I have a question regarding the equipment pad. I have a limited amount of space for the pad, it will end up being about 3' x 10', and I need to get the following list of equipment on it.

2 VS pumps
1 Quad DE filter
1 400K BTU Raypac heater
1 Mister system pump
1 Air blower for the spa

My problem is finding space for the Intellicenter controller. Is alright or even allowable to have any of the pool equipment in front of the controller since it is in reality an electrical panel. Yes the controller will be mounted up on the wall and I would mount it above the pumps, since they are the shortest things on the pad, just not sure if code allows for the controller to be mounted without direct clear access in front of it.

@bdavis466 I know you have the answer to this question, what do you think...

Thanks

IMG_0314.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.