Let the build begin!!!

Thanks Dchamber. Do you think you really need the red gard? I'm thinking of not even using it.
When I got my stacked veneer stone, they told me that I need to mix the veneer mortar with regular S type mortar, because the veneer mortar is too strong. Didn't know why you wouldn't want the strongest mortar? Is there such a thing as too stong??

If you don't do a scratch coat and lathe and paper, then I would definitely do some waterproofing. In my area, the installers do either one, as now it is more of a matter of preference. You could probably get away without the redguard, but I put it on because it couldn't hurt.

I haven't heard about mortar being too strong. Everything I read and researched said the quickcrete veneer stone mortar was a reliable product, and I had no problem during or after the stone install.

If you don't do a scratch coat and lathe and paper, then I would definitely do some waterproofing. In my area, the installers do either one, as now it is more of a matter of preference. You could probably get away without the redguard, but I put it on because it couldn't hurt.

I haven't heard about mortar being too strong. Everything I read and researched said the quickcrete veneer stone mortar was a reliable product, and I had no problem during or after the stone install.

You will be fine without the redgaurd. the backer board you used is water and mildew proof once you have applied the mortar for your stone. I just finished my build about a month or so ago. Ill post pics of the build as I havent been on the forum for some time now. Your build looks awesome and reminds me of the 4 weeks it took me to build mine in my spare time and some full days.

You will be fine without the redgaurd. the backer board you used is water and mildew proof once you have applied the mortar for your stone. I just finished my build about a month or so ago. Ill post pics of the build as I havent been on the forum for some time now. Your build looks awesome and reminds me of the 4 weeks it took me to build mine in my spare time and some full days.

Actually, unless he used DensSheild as his backer board, the backer board isn't waterproof. Dens shield makes the only waterproof backer that I know of. The rest of the manufacturers, I.e. hardiebacker, permabase, etc are only water resistant. Being a contractor, I have demo-Ed more than a few baths and have seen those products fail more than a few times, that is if they are installed with no water barrier. That being said, putting on a waterproof barrier on a typical backerboard might be a little overkill if the structure wasn't in constant contact with water. Regardless of the backerboard, once the seams have been mudded, a waterproof agent is needed because thin set is permeable and water can seep through it.

And I agree... Awesome build so far!

David

Question: For the door access under the grill are you using anything to cover up the expossed ground underneath? So items stored are not touching the ground?

I put 1/2" hardiboard on the bottom of the frame. Helps to keep items dry and the critters out. I also put Trex board on the bottom to raise it off the ground.

I'm starting on my concrete countertop. I'm using z counterform for the edging and quikrete countertop mix. Hoping to start pouring next weekend.

imagejpg1_zps503d41cf.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love the look of that concrete color! You may have changed my mind on the granite. The Z-forms snap off and are not reusable right? The last time I thought about the concrete I was thinking of going with that split granite edge. Did you have much finishing work with the Quikcrete mix? Did you get the stain at Lowes as well? Which brand and color is it?

Quick question... How did you finish the underside of the bar top ledge (overhang)? Did you just put hardie board under it and leave it as is, or is it open to the steel 2 x 4 frame? I guess it wouldn't matter either way, since only the kids under 4ft tall would see under there? Since I'm in the middle of my framing, I thought about this.

Thanks... I'm also curious on about the countertop stain...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.