Leslies supershock

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I'm not opening my pool for a couple of weeks so wanted to add some Chlorine to make sure there is no algae when I open it. Rather than look for the correct bleach (last time I had trouble finding it at my supermarket), I stopped by Leslies and asked for Liquid Chlorine. They sold me something called "Super Shock" which is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 87.5% Inert ingredients. Is this Ok to put in my pool?

Thanks

Sodium Hypochlorite is just fine. If it's their Liquid Shock it may look like this:

dbtgallery.php

That's the same stuff Ocean State Job Lot sells. I use it all season. It is perfectly safe. Inert means "Chemically inactive." They might as well list it as "water," but doesn't "Inert" sound better?

FYI - being you are in NJ, just a little warning, I had my pool for about 10 years and a few times I opened the pool after mid-May the pool looked like a swamp. I opened the pool this past weekend and it looked very clear. You would be better off opening the pool sooner than later. The longer you wait, the more chance you will have alge.

FYI - being you are in NJ, just a little warning, I had my pool for about 10 years and a few times I opened the pool after mid-May the pool looked like a swamp. I opened the pool this past weekend and it looked very clear. You would be better off opening the pool sooner than later. The longer you wait, the more chance you will have alge.

Thanks. I’ve opened the pool earlier each year but then the pollen clogs the skimmers and I am cleaning it out three times a day. I was trying to avoid that hassle this year but the tree pollen will probably be falling later this year and I’ll probably have to deal with it anyway. I was hoping to just fill the pool with liquid chlorine to prevent algae.

Thanks. I’ve opened the pool earlier each year but then the pollen clogs the skimmers and I am cleaning it out three times a day. I was trying to avoid that hassle this year but the tree pollen will probably be falling later this year and I’ll probably have to deal with it anyway. I was hoping to just fill the pool with liquid chlorine to prevent algae.

It may work for you. I don't have any trees around my pool or issues with pollen clogging my skimmer. Good luck!

I stopped by Leslies and asked for Liquid Chlorine. They sold me something called "Super Shock" which is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 87.5% Inert ingredients.
How much did you pay for a gallon of it? As Husky said Ocean State Job Lot sells 12.5% "Shock" for $2.99 a gallon. Super Shock is one of three or four brands that OSJL stocks during the pool season. OSJL does have some stores in New Jersey.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.