Leslies supershock

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I'm not opening my pool for a couple of weeks so wanted to add some Chlorine to make sure there is no algae when I open it. Rather than look for the correct bleach (last time I had trouble finding it at my supermarket), I stopped by Leslies and asked for Liquid Chlorine. They sold me something called "Super Shock" which is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 87.5% Inert ingredients. Is this Ok to put in my pool?

Thanks

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
That's the same stuff Ocean State Job Lot sells. I use it all season. It is perfectly safe. Inert means "Chemically inactive." They might as well list it as "water," but doesn't "Inert" sound better?

jgofnj

May 28, 2013
Hillsborough, NJ
FYI - being you are in NJ, just a little warning, I had my pool for about 10 years and a few times I opened the pool after mid-May the pool looked like a swamp. I opened the pool this past weekend and it looked very clear. You would be better off opening the pool sooner than later. The longer you wait, the more chance you will have alge.

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
FYI - being you are in NJ, just a little warning, I had my pool for about 10 years and a few times I opened the pool after mid-May the pool looked like a swamp. I opened the pool this past weekend and it looked very clear. You would be better off opening the pool sooner than later. The longer you wait, the more chance you will have alge.
Thanks. I’ve opened the pool earlier each year but then the pollen clogs the skimmers and I am cleaning it out three times a day. I was trying to avoid that hassle this year but the tree pollen will probably be falling later this year and I’ll probably have to deal with it anyway. I was hoping to just fill the pool with liquid chlorine to prevent algae.

jgofnj

May 28, 2013
Hillsborough, NJ
Thanks. I’ve opened the pool earlier each year but then the pollen clogs the skimmers and I am cleaning it out three times a day. I was trying to avoid that hassle this year but the tree pollen will probably be falling later this year and I’ll probably have to deal with it anyway. I was hoping to just fill the pool with liquid chlorine to prevent algae.
It may work for you. I don't have any trees around my pool or issues with pollen clogging my skimmer. Good luck!

laprjns

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ellington, CT
I stopped by Leslies and asked for Liquid Chlorine. They sold me something called "Super Shock" which is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 87.5% Inert ingredients.
How much did you pay for a gallon of it? As Husky said Ocean State Job Lot sells 12.5% "Shock" for $2.99 a gallon. Super Shock is one of three or four brands that OSJL stocks during the pool season. OSJL does have some stores in New Jersey.

Sigmabond

Aug 18, 2016
Norfolk, VA
Looks like the stuff I got last year at Ollie's. 2.49/gallon 12.5% just make sure the date isn't too old. Had a 15% off coupon too. Dot see it in their ad, but picked up the first week of May last year.