Leslie’s Showing my CYA going up & up

Rich807

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Only been using KemTech liquid or the liquid stuff in the pic that I bought at a local Leslie’s for a while now. For giggles, I’ve gotten my water tested at a Leslie’s 3 times during the last month and a half or so. Each test they show my CYA has been going higher (about 10 points higher each test). Today’s reading coming in around the high 80’s. First test I let them do was about 67 CYA IIRC.

Other than the aforementioned liquid chlorinizers & some muriatic acid no other chemical has been added to my water. I don’t use pucks. Just need a sanity check that I’m not missing something with these products (like they contain CYA & I don’t understand that).

I’m not yet super comfortable with my at home CYA testing prowess, but I get somewhere around 60 by my amateur eyeball on the dilute test protocol.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• BF2A4FB2-6494-4E5C-B2FB-CB97A8F63135.jpeg
    BF2A4FB2-6494-4E5C-B2FB-CB97A8F63135.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 27
TF-100 Kit used for water chemistry analysis -- From your signature.

Use it. Do not go to pool stores for water chemistry testing. They will just confuse you.

Reactions: Rich807
The ‘desert formula’ (LoI) stuff I got at Leslie’s a while back. If I’m not mistaken they’ve been selling stuff packaged like this for at least a couple decades. I had a pool years ago in a previous life & think I remember it from then.
Looks like it comes from Scottsdale.

Last two tests for CYA I asked the clerk on duty how my CYA could be going up w/out puck use. Today the answer was “Maybe someone is sneaking into your pool at & maintaining it for you, & you don’t realize it... I knew a lady this actually happened to”. No joke this is what the mrs & I heard today. SMH.

Attachments

• 163C502C-C66B-44D4-92A4-BA0F4E0BDA8E.jpeg
    163C502C-C66B-44D4-92A4-BA0F4E0BDA8E.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 25
The ‘desert formula’ (LoI) stuff I got at Leslie’s a while back
Gotta love marketing.
Vegas has Hasa dealers. If you are going to use liquid chlorine, check them out. They sell liquid chlorine in returnable bottles. 12.5% and really fresh.

Each test they show my CYA has been going higher (about 10 points higher each test). Today’s reading coming in around the high 80’s. First test I let them do was about 67 CYA IIRC.
No wonder your CYA is going up... if you are using this stuff... LOOKY THERE.. Its A Germ Killer AND a Sanitizer!
Its got Sanitizer!.JPG

BTW.. Did Leslie's tell you that to fix it you need to add more Sanitizer? that is their MO.

Edit.. I zoomed into the ingredients in the lower right.. it show's 10% sodium hypochorite.. why do I not trust them.

Leslie’s actually keep telling me I’m on the precipice of pool Armageddon unless I buy their stuff to fix my phosphates.

I swear their computer program must run some algorithm to get people to points where you need to buy all their snake oil products. There’s not too many other explanations IMO why their test results would be indicating my CYA is escalating test after test.

Super grateful for this site I tell you guys that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I swear their computer program must run some algorithm to get people to points where you need to buy all their snake oil products
It is a big box chain. They have ‘metrics’ in corporate America and sales goals to meet said metrics. The ‘free water test’ is a tool for them, not you.

I was working at a nutritional chain store. The regional manager was shredding the employee like I wasn’t even there. He needed to push XYZ or find another job. The employee begged that he knew his longtime customers and felt bad giving them stuff that did not meet their needs. The regional manager did not care one bit. Sell, quit or be fired. This scenario gets repeated over and over across the land.

Called the listed Hasa dealer about 2 weeks ago.... it’s fairly close to where I work & I drive by it usually 2x a day. Unfortunately they don’t sell OTC to the public.
Odd, I know they sell to the public in California and Arizona. Might try calling one of the other dealers in the area.

Odd, I know they sell to the public in California and Arizona. Might try calling one of the other dealers in the area.
Probably needs to find a retail supplier instead of wholesale (or obtain a wholesale account). In Phoenix area, several pool stores sell HASA liquid chlorine and acid. Many of HASA's "dealers" are wholesale only. I'd recommend calling around to local pool stores - not the big chain stores, most likely the local mom and pop type pool stores may carry it.

Reactions: mknauss
Interesting that I’ve googled and google mapped and can’t find any local Las Vegas mom & pop pool stores. All I come up with is Leslie’s and Leslie’s Pro. So, for me I’ve found that Walmart has the freshest 10% at the best price.

Interesting that I’ve googled and google mapped and can’t find any local Las Vegas mom & pop pool stores. All I come up with is Leslie’s and Leslie’s Pro. So, for me I’ve found that Walmart has the freshest 10% at the best price.
Yep. Walmart’s “Pool Chlorinating Liquid” has been my go-to for my bleach needs for two years now. It’s available at my local store year-round, is never out of stock, yet it must sell because they always have fresh bottles. Currently $3.74 a bottle, it’s almost always the best deal in town on liquid sodium hypochlorite.

Reactions: Sunnydaze
Yep. Walmart’s “Pool Chlorinating Liquid” has been my go-to for my bleach needs for two years now. It’s available at my local store year-round, is never out of stock, yet it must sell because they always have fresh bottles. Currently $3.74 a bottle, it’s almost always the best deal in town on liquid sodium hypochlorite.

It's the best price I can find here. The pool supply companies are around $12 for 2 gallons. Home depot and lowes are around $9 for 2 gallons. Walmart is $7.48 for 2 gallons. All are 10%. The chlorine I got from walmart yesterday was dated less than 2 weeks ago.

No wonder your CYA is going up... if you are using this stuff... LOOKY THERE.. Its A Germ Killer AND a Sanitizer!
View attachment 323917

BTW.. Did Leslie's tell you that to fix it you need to add more Sanitizer? that is their MO.

Edit.. I zoomed into the ingredients in the lower right.. it show's 10% sodium hypochorite.. why do I not trust them.

sanitizer is fine. its the 'stabilizer' to be wary of. The ingredients show 10% Sodium Hypochlorite. Although 10% is fairly easy to find else where for likely cheaper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.