Leslie's 3" Jumbo Tabs to raise CYA currently below 20?

modog

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2009
Hello Everyone!

Instead of buying expensive conditioner or the whole CYA in the sock trick, I bought some regular Leslie's 3" jumbo tabs. My CYA is below 20. I was going to use these to get my CYA up to serviceable levels of 30-40 and, in the process, chlorinate the pool. I plan to get back to bleach as soon as my CYA is where it needs to be. Question for the experts...

1) Besides Chlorine and CYA, am I introducing Calcium into the pool? In Texas, we have a hard water problem so I don't want to raise CH more.
2) What other substances am I introducing by using the pucks?
3) Do they lower PH?
3) Do these pucks reduce TA?

I have a chlorine pool. No SWG. Any advice would be much appreciated!

28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

Tri-chlor tabs basically increase CYA (stabilizer), Free Chlorine, and have a slight impact on lowering pH. You can review the results of adding any chemicals on the Poolmath Calculator page (link below). The biggest concern I see right now is that if your CYA is 20, or perhaps lower since the viewing tube isn't really accurate below 20, it might take tabs too long to dissolve and get you to the recommended minimum of 30 just to preserve FC and provide enough stabilizer to buffer the pool from the bleach. You mentioned the cost, but unless you came across a good deal, a bucket of tabs can be quite pricey last I checked, whereas a container of granular stabilizer is typically about $16 or so and will increase CYA in about 24 hrs once dissolved. Weather has been weird lately, but once that TX sun pop its ugly head, I expect FC usage will go quickly if you don't have a CYA of at least 30-40. I'm running 50 right now until summer peaks then I go up a little more. Hope that helps give you something to go on.

Thanks for the input. I bought the tabs for this purpose and to supplement while on vacation a few times this summer. It is about to get hot and sunny. I don't want to eat up FC either. I may use a few more tabs this week and see if it gets up to a manageable level. If not, may have to go granular stabilizer as usual. Appreciate the feedback and keep up the great help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.