LED pool light

resco

Jul 9, 2021
Los Angeles/ CA
New pool owner here. I want to swap out my existing in ground pool light with a color changing LED one. Currently my existing light is a 500w and the new LED is only a 45w, will this require that the breaker at the electrical panel be downsized or should I leave it as is?
Thank.

The breaker goes by amps not watts so you are fine. It's probably a 15 or 20 amp breaker now. If it's a dedicated breaker you will have extra amps. On mine I tapped my light breaker for some outdoor plugs since the light is rarely used.
Also it should be GCFI breaker. If not, put one in.

Reactions: resco and wgipe
Keep in mind that the breaker is there to see to it that the wire does not get overloaded and cause a fire. Because of that, breaker size should be matched to wire gauge (in the most common cases - as with anything, there are exceptions.

Generally speaking, a 20-amp breaker should host 12AWG wire, while a 15-amp breaker typically hosts 14AWG.

GFCI protection is to make sure you don’t touch something and become the best path to ground (at least for long).

Reactions: resco
Yes, I ran all 12ga for my cover & light lines knowing There was going to be more in the future.

Reactions: resco
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.