LED light replacement

JoeDean

Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Montgomery / Texas
One of the four 120v LED Jandy lights inn my pool has stopped working altogether. My system has the Jandy automation including the lights.
My question; is it possible to use another manufacturer of LED light such as Pintair?
This is the second Jandy light hat has die on me in the last 4 years! This from a light that is advertised as being expected to Orkney for decades with the price tag to match. I don’t mind paying the money for something that will at least make 10 years. No faith in Jandy.

If my only choice is to change the automaton to match the lights, which manufacture should is use for best color and reliability as I didn’t want to redo this twice, redoing once is painfull enough.

ce4b860f-5421-47bc-8d01-f9e437ed3ae8

Thanks for the insight,
Joe Dean

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 187
Hi JoeDean,

I also have the Jandy Water Colors lights with a Jandy automation system and I have replaced 3 lights over 5 years at a price tag of $1,000 per light replacement. It is possible to use a different manufacturer of LED lights with your Jandy automation system and the newer Jandy automation systems (i.e. the last 5-7 years) allow you to select if your LED lights are Jandy, Hayward or Pentair, you will then get the color show readout on your Jandy controller that tells you the color show of the light. If you have an older controller or use a light other than Jandy, Hayward or Pentair with your Jandy automation system then you still can control the lights but you just don't get the color readout on the controller, in my oppinion this is not that big of deal as you can cyle the light on and off with the controller to go through the different color modes until you find the show you like.

We have found issues with Hayward, Pentair and Jandy LED lights as they use an integrated LED PCB Board which means if the light ever goes bad then the LED board cannot be replaced and you have replace the entire light fixture at a price tag of $750-$1000 per light plus a costly labor cost as the whole new light and cord needs to be pulled through the conduit. This is why I like the PureLine Pure Colors LED Lights as the PureLine lights use a standard Screw In LED bulb so if the bulb ever goes bad then you are looking at an easy $150 bulb replacement. If you went with the Pure Colors LED then you would not get the color show readout on your Jandy controller but the lights would be able to be controlled through the controller by powering the light on and off until you found the color show you like. These lights also have memory which means that if the lights are turned off for longer then 15 seconds then the next time the lights power on then they will turn on in the last color show you had selected. The PureColors do synchronize with each other. For all of your lights to synchronize with one another then you need to make sure they are all from the same manufacturer, for example if you went with 1 Hayward and 3 Jandy lights then the Hayward would not synch with the Jandy Lights. Below I have posted a few pictures of the PureColors light, I hope this helps!

image1 (3).jpeg

20180423_212013.jpg

image2.jpeg

20180423_212047.jpg

Reactions: jrodp
Hi JoeDean,

I also have the Jandy Water Colors lights with a Jandy automation system and I have replaced 3 lights over 5 years at a price tag of $1,000 per light replacement. It is possible to use a different manufacturer of LED lights with your Jandy automation system and the newer Jandy automation systems (i.e. the last 5-7 years) allow you to select if your LED lights are Jandy, Hayward or Pentair, you will then get the color show readout on your Jandy controller that tells you the color show of the light. If you have an older controller or use a light other than Jandy, Hayward or Pentair with your Jandy automation system then you still can control the lights but you just don't get the color readout on the controller, in my oppinion this is not that big of deal as you can cyle the light on and off with the controller to go through the different color modes until you find the show you like.

We have found issues with Hayward, Pentair and Jandy LED lights as they use an integrated LED PCB Board which means if the light ever goes bad then the LED board cannot be replaced and you have replace the entire light fixture at a price tag of $750-$1000 per light plus a costly labor cost as the whole new light and cord needs to be pulled through the conduit. This is why I like the PureLine Pure Colors LED Lights as the PureLine lights use a standard Screw In LED bulb so if the bulb ever goes bad then you are looking at an easy $150 bulb replacement. If you went with the Pure Colors LED then you would not get the color show readout on your Jandy controller but the lights would be able to be controlled through the controller by powering the light on and off until you found the color show you like. These lights also have memory which means that if the lights are turned off for longer then 15 seconds then the next time the lights power on then they will turn on in the last color show you had selected. The PureColors do synchronize with each other. For all of your lights to synchronize with one another then you need to make sure they are all from the same manufacturer, for example if you went with 1 Hayward and 3 Jandy lights then the Hayward would not synch with the Jandy Lights. Below I have posted a few pictures of the PureColors light, I hope this helps!

Patrick, thank you for this great post - we have had our Jandy lights replaced only 2 times in the 3 years we have had our pool. We hardly use our lights as the autocover is left closed around 90% of the time, so I am surprised our lights have failed. We have the white Jandy Nicheless LED's and I have heard mixed reports from various techs that the color LED's are a little more reliable - but seeing these posts it makes me wonder if that is true!

The nicheless lights are tiny - I don't see a replacement that would match the Jandy size - is there one in the PureLine???

Reactions: fsworld
Hi Santacruzpool, Unfortunately there is not a PureLine replacement for the small nicheless style lights. I would call Jandy and raise some sand (insert adult word), and many times they take care of you even if the light is outside of the normal warranty period. Let me know how it turns out.

Thank You so much Patrick that is very helpful information.
I have three (3) large lights and one (1) small light in the pool and one (1) small light in the raised spa so it is going to be expensive any direction I choose. The bulb only fixture makes the most sense to me as I usually pick a light color and leave it set.

I have to figure out how to add my pool information at the bottom of my posts; probably is part of the Signature I guess.

Again thanks for the help!

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jay

Joe

Joe, adding a signature:

-settings (upper right of this page)
-edit signature (middle left)

Put in pool kind and size (gals), equipment and any special features as well as what test kit you are using.

Kim:kim:

Hi Santacruzpool, Unfortunately there is not a PureLine replacement for the small nicheless style lights. I would call Jandy and raise some sand (insert adult word), and many times they take care of you even if the light is outside of the normal warranty period. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks, fortunately we are still covered by for factory warranty for a few more months - I am just prepping for the future so that if/when these latest lights fail again and they are out of warranty...

If my latest LED's last then that will be great. But if they fail after the warranty is up and Jandy doesn't step up I can't see buying more of the same lights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.