Leaving for 4 days after completing a SLAM

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
I'm going to have to leave town for 4 days and don't have anyone to add chlorine to our pool while we are away. CYA is 30 since I just completed a SLAM. If I increased CYA to 40, would I still have chlorine remaining after 4 days if I got it up to SLAM level before leaving town and ran the pump for 8 hours a day on a timer while I'm away? Would a solar cover help keep the FC from burning off as quickly or could this increase the FC loss since it will heat up the water, which is currently too cold to swim in. We don't get a lot of debris in our pool unless it is windy so I don't think a solar cover will keep much debris out of the pool.

If it is unlikely that FC will last 4 days if I increased CYA to 40, would it help if I added some chlorine tablets to a floater and put it into the pool after getting it to SLAM level for a 30 CYA (12)? If that might work, I need to know how many tablets to add to the floater and how I can tie it off so it won't park itself in the skimmer mouth, in a corner, along a wall or on a step in the shallow end when the pump shuts off. I tried tying it to the ladder before but it kept getting stuck in the ladder when the pump turns off and then it wouldn't start moving again when the pump came back on unless I pushed it back into the pool. I tried putting the floater inside a child's ring float, and it kept getting stuck along the steps in the shallow end when the pump turned off for the evening and then it wouldn't start moving again unless I went outside and pushed it back into the pool. I thought about tying it down in the deep end somehow, but I worry that it will park itself near the wall when the pump turns off and then it will bleach out the gelcoat in that area. Running the pump 24 hours a day to keep the floater moving is not an option because I don't feel comfortable running the pump all day when nobody is around to monitor things since we frequently get leaves in the pool on windy days and frequently get mice or other critters in our pool.

Since your water is still chilly, if it were my I'd increase the FC close to slam level (i.e. 12), then put a couple tablets in a floater as insurance. That should be plenty to hold you over for four days.
How many tablets do I put into a floater, how long should I run the pump each day, and how do I prevent the floater from getting stuck in the skimmer opening, along the steps in the shallow end, or near the ladder, when the pump turns off? I've never had much luck with floaters in the past because it keeps getting stuck somewhere in the pool when the pump shuts off and it won't start floating around the pool when the pump comes back on.

Just a coupe tabs should do the trick. You may not even need those, but just to be safe ...... Run the pump as long or as short as you wish just to circulate water. It will have no bearing on the tab floater performance. For the floater itself, perhaps see if you can tie it to something or somewhere along the pool if you want to keep it somewhat stationary - like a leash effect. Otherwise, the floater should be fine wherever it goes. The tabs dissolve quite slowly and as long as they are in the floater it's fine.

Reactions: al27 and newdude