Leave vacuum attached?

Jul 22, 2017
Dallas/GA
Need some help. I just opened my pool a week ago. I have just slammed it and I am letting filter run 24/7 until it is clear. I do not have a bottom drain and just one skimmer. I now have to go out of town for 3 days (unexpectedly) and don’t have anyone to empty skimmer basket or back wash. My question is can I leave my vacuum attached so that it continues to circulate and clean water? My thought is that this way the skimmer would not need to be emptied. I am concerned about trying this as I do not know if it will cause pump damage. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

You should be fine as long as the vacuum can continue to operate if the skimmer basket gets full.
The vacuum works through the skimmer so it can’t get full of floating surface dirt and I don’t have many leaves falling into the pool right now. I guess it is a bit of a risk not knowing if things will fall in and sink but I know for certain there will be surface tree fly-a-ways. I am getting some floating tree debris right now.

My guts says no. The reason is that I worry about the hose coming loose and causing the connector to suck air which can cause the pump to get starved for water.

I would just push the FC up to SLAM/shock level for your CYA and mix it in good. You could also put some pucks in a floater to keep some FC in your pool while you are away.

Kim:kim:

Someone here built a guard for the Skimmer out of PVC, and if I remember right, a pool noodle.. Basically a box that sat in front of the skimmer and kept any debries out of the skimmer, but still allowed water in...

It just floated on the water and was somehow connected to the skimmer so that it could not float away..

Something like that would allow you to run the skimmer and not worry about it clogging up.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.