Learning the finer art of pool maintenance

BKB

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
New Carlisle Ohio
Thank you so much for creating this site and opening it to everyone, supporter or not. I have had a pool for several years and it has always been a total shot in the dark how to maintain it. A trip to the pool store always left me confused and with less money than I came with:eek:. I have already benefited from reading just a few of the posts.
I have a SWCG and can't seem to get the stabilizer up to the recommended 60ppm or the TA down to 100. I have put a gallon and a half of muratic acid in over the past three weeks and a chemical that was to increase the stabilizer. The pool store expert, aka a young boy working there for the summer, said everything was in the right range, TA of 170 and stabilizer of 30.
Even the testing strips I have say the TA is too high.
Any recommendations? I just purchased the Taylor testing kit and worked through the tests. TA was 170 and stabilizer was 45. I want to get some strips for quicker testing but not sure which to purchase for reliable results.
I appreciate your guidance.

Welcome to TFP.

No strips are reliable. Toss all your strips into the trash.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Knowing what you have will let us tell you if lowering your TA is important or not. In general TA is the least important chemical you test.

Your CYA is 50. We round up. If the dot disappears between 50 and 40 we round up and call it 50.

Post a complete set of tests from your test kit:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Thank you for responding. I tested yesterday using the Taylor K-2006.
FC: 5
CC: .5
pH: 8
TA: 180
CH: 250
CYA: 50
I have now read the ABCs; this is new information from what I worked with before; like starting over:)
My pool is clear, no signs of algae. There are some stains. As mentioned in the initial post, I have added about two gallons of muratic acid in the past month to bring down the TA & pH but these are still the numbers. I have also added stabilizer with little increase.
It is good to read you can swim in FC levels of 5; that has been an issue after a shock waiting on the level to drop back to 3.
Thank you, Brenda

Many folks add 2 gallons of acid in a week or two.

What is the strength of the acid you buy?

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

Overall your water chemistry looks fine. Keep on adding acid to keep your pH in the 7s.

Many folks add 2 gallons of acid in a week or two.

What is the strength of the acid you buy?

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

Overall your water chemistry looks fine. Keep on adding acid to keep your pH in the 7s.
The acid is the Baume at 31%.
I haven't tested my well water to see the pH and TA of it.
I will follow the table for FC and CYA and keep the pH in level and I think I will be good.
I think this system is going to work better and be less expensive. According to some threads, I don't need to 'shock' weekly, only if the CC is over .5.
Should save some money:)
Thanks again.

According to some threads, I don't need to 'shock' weekly, only if the CC is over .5.

You never need to "shock" following TFPC. If you follow the FC/CYA Levels there is nothing more to do to keep your water clear and sanitary.

If you fall off the wagon and do get algae then you follow the SLAM Process.

There is no in between "shock".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.