Leaky Skimmer cause void under concrete deck?

Mar 24, 2015
Biloxi, MS
We have had a lot of rain recently that cause some minor erosion in my back yard. Attached you will see some pictures where soil eroded and has been slowly over the years away from my pool deck. when I was checking the severity of it I noticed a pretty decent void under my concrete deck. The void is roughly 2 inches deep and runs about two feet under the deck. I also have some cracking on my pool deck which im assuming is due to the void. Im thinking that the void could have been caused by slight erosion over time that I haven't noticed, or it could be a leak in my skimmer/return/lighting that left the soil under the deck soupy and possibly caused this issue. I will start with a bucket test and I know I can start leak testing but the pool is quite cold. So here are my question.

1. Can the skimmer leak at these the area I have indicated in the picture? All of the grout around the skimmer is good to go so im looking for other possible locations that typically leak.

2. To fill a void of that size a lot of people recommending mudjacking however we do not have anyone that will service my area. So should I try to dig it out some and fill the void with pea gravel or dirt. Or should I have them replace that section of pool decking to make sure the slab doesn't get worse over time and collapse.

Thanks for your input I look forward to following up.

I don't think that void is from your skimmer leaking, if in fact your skimmer IS leaking. You need to verify that first. I don't think the cracks are from a void either. They look more like stress cracks (hot/cold expansion/contraction). Not from a pad shifting due to a foundation failure or a void.

My guess is heavy rains caused your problem. Lower the pool level below the skimmer (and maybe below the light fixture...) and do your bucket test. Is the void consistent with the slope away from the skimmer...down and away, in two directions ? Why not hire someone to dig two feet under the concrete to see what's what ? Maybe prop up the concrete with 4 x 4 as they go. There is a way to air pressure your lines, gently, to see if there is a cracked pipe.

There are several companies that do mudjacking in your area. Check Google or Yellow pages.
Foundation Contractors in Biloxi, Mississippi with Reviews - YP.com

You could also try
"C & R Paving Mississippi Biloxi 12183 Shorecrest Rd ... What licensed concrete pros in Biloxi and nearby will do for you: Driveways or Floors & Slabs Install / ... Concrete Injection Leveling, Mudjacking"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.