Leaky pump, can’t tell where.

Jul 17, 2013
I have a 1.5 hp Hayward super 2 pump. It started leaking last season and I can’t tell from where. I assume it is the shaft seal as it it is 9-10 years old.
Should I bother replacing the seals, or just replace the entire unit? This pump runs my Paramount cleaning system.
I am concerned if I only buy a seal kit, I could wind up with a failed impeller or motor in the near future. I rebuilt pool pumps as a teenager at a pool store, and have seen old plastic impellers break during assembly, but that was many years ago.

thanks for advice

A seal kit is way cheaper and easier to change out.. if that does not stop the leak then something more is bad... if the bearing sound fine I would do the seal ASAP.. :)

Also, get a salt or SCS seal with a kit as they are a better seal..

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: alphadog
Thanks, i just have this fear that I will order a seal kit, then find diffuser has a problem, order a diffuser, then find impeller is cracked......

But I just priced pumps, seals are way cheaper. And thanks for the hint on better seals, that is new to me.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.