xpert66

Apr 11, 2021
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So both skimmer and return lines are leaking at the threaded connections. Pool installer used teflon tape. The connections are 1.5". I removed and rewrapped but these connections are still leaking. An older post recommended pipe sealer or pipe dope with a wrap of teflon tape then sealer again. Should I try this or am I wasting time? Thanks

Here is the pic. You can actually see a bead of water right under the molded plastic and threaded connection at the bottom of the skimmer

Attachments

• 20210607_074449.jpg
    20210607_074449.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
The threaded fittings on these are honestly really really bad. It's just how they're made, seams, undersized threads etc.

I used 4 or 5 wraps of blue monster tape followed by Megaloc pipe dope but any decent pipe dope would probably do fine as long as it's compatible with pvc etc. Don't over tighten them, just go fairly tight. If it leaks pull it back apart and add more tape is what I found works. After wrapping the tape 4-5 wraps run your fingernail down it to try and get it more in the thread before adding the pipe dope. If all you've got is the typical thin white tape you're going to need a lot more than 4-5 wraps.

DO NOT put the pipe dope under the tape it's not going to help and it's going to make a big mess and make the tape want to push out.

Honestly the Hayward ones seem to bottom out more than actually get tight.

Reactions: xpert66
I would recommend Blue monster tape as well that stuff works really well, and one roll will last you a lifetime.

If you use dope as well get stuff that specifically lists it for use on plastic pipe. I don't normally use both tape and dope, it's just one or the other for me.

Reactions: xpert66
The threaded fittings on these are honestly really really bad. It's just how they're made, seams, undersized threads etc.

I used 4 or 5 wraps of blue monster tape followed by Megaloc pipe dope but any decent pipe dope would probably do fine as long as it's compatible with pvc etc. Don't over tighten them, just go fairly tight. If it leaks pull it back apart and add more tape is what I found works. After wrapping the tape 4-5 wraps run your fingernail down it to try and get it more in the thread before adding the pipe dope. If all you've got is the typical thin white tape you're going to need a lot more than 4-5 wraps.

DO NOT put the pipe dope under the tape it's not going to help and it's going to make a big mess and make the tape want to push out.

Honestly the Hayward ones seem to bottom out more than actually get tight.
It's really interesting how awful the fitting are on a lot of pool support gear... and the amount of teflon needed can change from year to year or batch to batch of filters, pumps, skimmers, etc. We started using Blue Monster because it required less but the last filter I put in needed eight, yes eight rounds to seal! I may try putting dope over the tape.

It's really interesting how awful the fitting are on a lot of pool support gear... and the amount of teflon needed can change from year to year or batch to batch of filters, pumps, skimmers, etc. We started using Blue Monster because it required less but the last filter I put in needed eight, yes eight rounds to seal! I may try putting dope over the tape.
The dope worked well for me. no more leak

Reactions: Decoy205
A good general guideline is to use pipe dope (only) on 1" or larger........tape on less than 1". Pipe dope is easier for me so I use it on ALL sizes......personal preference.

PS - that joint you show in your pic looks as if it has bottomed out. If so, your leak MAY reappear and you will need some new fittings.

A good general guideline is to use pipe dope (only) on 1" or larger........tape on less than 1". Pipe dope is easier for me so I use it on ALL sizes......personal preference.

PS - that joint you show in your pic looks as if it has bottomed out. If so, your leak MAY reappear and you will need some new fittings.
I tried an experiment, JUST pipe dope (Rectorseal T Plus 2 as recommended BY Hayward's reps). I tried this into a multiport and also into the top of a super pump, brand new Lasco SCH 40 fittings, it leaked like crazy! Now a lasco fitting into a lasco fitting no problems with just dope. Pool manufacturers are making some real crappy parts and to get this lead to stop required about 12 rounds of white teflon (I used the proper 1" wide stuff" and then I painted a bit of pipe dope on top of the teflon and inside the multiport's threads. No more leak but it's crazy having to put that much teflon on a new fitting to stop a leak. Obviously a used or overheated fitting is another situation but this is all new stuff. I've been installing pool equipment for 35 years and in the past 5 or so years the quality has just become abysmal with pool gear. Another thing, the O-rings on Jandy DEV multiports to the filter don't' fit, they need to be glued into one side or you'll never get them in even with 2 people. Terrible quality control.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 9.43.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 9.43.28 PM.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree, the molded threads on skimmers are junk. Mine was way oversize, had to dope the internal threads of the skimmer AND dope the external threads of the connector, then wrap tape over the dope on the external threads before I could get it to work. This was some years ago, and it's been fine ever since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.