Leaking Swimclear cartridge filter at clamp.

djdonte

Mar 25, 2019
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I've got the older style filer in my sig, clamp holding together top and bottom but without a spring on the bolt. When servicing the filter, I used get a leak at the clamp area about 50 percent of the time. Cleaned everything real good, new oring (the one with metal in it), lots of lube, and used a mallet to tap the clamp all around while tightening. Now only leaks maybe 30 percent of the time. Seems to be luck of the draw. Is there a trick to it? I did a search and found similar threads but no definitive solutions.

Also what is the torque recommended? I eyeball it with a 3/4 socket and ratchet and kind of stop when I feel the clamp stop moving, making sure to tap with the mallet at least once. I still feel like I'm overtightening though, and dont want to damage anything. All the paint on the clamp is coming off and looks like it is aluminum from the corrosion. I read its discontinued but even if thats not true it cant be cheap.

I've got the older style filer in my sig, clamp holding together top and bottom but without a spring on the bolt. When servicing the filter, I used get a leak at the clamp area about 50 percent of the time. Cleaned everything real good, new oring (the one with metal in it), lots of lube, and used a mallet to tap the clamp all around while tightening. Now only leaks maybe 30 percent of the time. Seems to be luck of the draw. Is there a trick to it? I did a search and found similar threads but no definitive solutions.

Also what is the torque recommended? I eyeball it with a 3/4 socket and ratchet and kind of stop when I feel the clamp stop moving, making sure to tap with the mallet at least once. I still feel like I'm overtightening though, and dont want to damage anything. All the paint on the clamp is coming off and looks like it is aluminum from the corrosion. I read its discontinued but even if thats not true it cant be cheap.

The old spring clamp - is D/C. It is not recalled.
There have been several judgements against the big 3 for tank separation incidents.

Replacement clamp has no spring, & runs a couple hundred bux, well worth the $

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.