Leaking skimmer

ThickHeaded

May 21, 2023
Ocala, Florida
This is a pool in place when I came along. I have met the guy who installed the Hydrotool standard size skimmer and he is not the type to pay attention to details, ergo I am pretty sure he rushed this without researching at all. I Tried tightening the screws and more than one is stripped; probably because not all of the screws are the same meaning likely wrong size. The unit sags enough such that if I try to level it the leak gets considerably worse. He also mounted it 3-4 inches below the top so that limits the water height.

If I remove it completely and start over I assume this is too large of a hole to patch, or since it is near the top (not too much weight?) perhaps this will fly. This is my preference because there is a skimmer at the motor, and get an internal one that moves vertically also. The pool has two 1.25 inch outlets not in use, going to convert to 1.5 and use one as the intake to the motor for the internal skimmer and/or vacuum. Until I convert these the return to pool is going over the top :)

Perhaps move it up about 2 inches? The patch would be in contact with the pool on 3 sides only. Seems this leaves me with almost the same problem. Lastly I could easily get another and replace the damaged one, but then it is still too low.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts.

Sorry that I have not replied, been a busy week, as usual. The exterior picture is leaking at the bottom, notice the white streak is the worst corner. The entire bottom leaks and gets much worse if I lift/tilt the skimmer even a little. Most of the water drops in this picture is because I had just emptied the basket.

As stated above I would like to either move this up a few inches or remove it entirely.
20230526_091455a.jpg20230526_091521a.jpg

You could attempt a full patch & completely remove the skimmer. If you do this you would want to double patch it- 1 bigger than the other. Maybe find an old pool on the side of the road to get some liner.
With the stress of the skimmer in place I have a feeling a partial patch (moving the skimmer up) would be a recurring leaking problem.
A new butterfly gasket for the current skimmer would probably stop the leak you have now but it won’t solve your water level problem.
They also make a support for the skimmer that may alleviate some of the stress on the gasket once replaced.
IMG_6357.jpeg

P.S.
it looks like you have a chlorine tablet in your skimmer. That’s not good for your equipment as they are very acidic.
If you must use tabs, Use a floater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.