Leaking Pump - Hayward Superpump 1.5hp

They SHOULD have had it, but the local one near me appears fairly useless. Even with pictures and the model number, he was still somewhat flummoxed. Was going to order it, but waiting 2 weeks for a $9 part seemed silly when Amazon can get me a 5 pack for $8 and it'll be here Tuesday. I may see if Home Depot has a washer similar enough to get me by for a couple days, gotta grab some lube to grease things up as well. Assume it's just a silicone based lubricant?

Next adventure is getting the stem to let go from the main body, didn't slide right out like in the video. Which is probably the obvious culprit with the stem not being nearly lubricated enough and binding up/not going all the way back down...

You can put it back together without the nylon bearing.

Try some silicone spray from both sides to lubricate the stem. Work it in by pushing up and down.

A silicon lubricant (not sealant) will be best.

Magic lube II (red label, not blue label regular magic lube) or Boss 820 lube work well.

As always, you guys are the best. Pool is back up and running, and no leaks/drips/gushing water. That little pin on the multi-port is awful, can't believe that is the design, and no longer fault the previous owner for never taking it apart. Almost gave up and threw it across the room a few times. Can't wait until the nylon bearing gets here tuesday and I get to take it apart again!

on the plus side, the lube really make the part act like new again. Nice easy turning. Bought a silicone lubricant spray from WD-40 that worked pretty well, and also some silicone based *ahem* personal gel lube so I had something I could smear on a little more controlled. Pool is 15% more sexy now! :)

Thanks again, guys! $25 worth of seals, bearings, and lubricant saved me minimum of about $600 for a pump, filter multiport, weekend of plumbing and swearing at the pool! Until next time...

When the nylon bearing comes in, just tap out the pin, remove the handle and install the nylon bearing. If you file the pin down some, it goes in/out easier. Put the pin in a drill and spin it against a flat file.

Not too much or the pin will be loose. Taper the ends a little bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.