leaking hole in the concrete above water level

Melanieb

Sep 9, 2020
Yuma Arizona
We bought a house with an inground pool just under a year ago and it's my first pool ever. On the inside just a few inches from the water level in the concrete we have a small (maybe 1/2 in) hole and water drips from it all the time. I call it the side of the pool deck. The dripping water turns green and thick (like honey thick) green gunk oozes out. I've cleaned it but it comes back. So should this hole be there, can I plug/fill it with something and what would that something be? Does anyone think this stuff is toxic?

Hi Melanie! Welcome to TFP! That sounds yucky! I am guessing this might be an overflow pipe. I wonder if the pipe is clogged on the the other end.

Can you take and share a pic of the hole in the pool please. The placement and shape of it will help us really know what it is.

Have you tried putting a water hose with the nozzle set to full jet into the hole to see where it goes and to help clean it out?

Kim:kim:

Hi Melanie! Welcome to TFP! That sounds yucky! I am guessing this might be an overflow pipe. I wonder if the pipe is clogged on the the other end.

Can you take and share a pic of the hole in the pool please. The placement and shape of it will help us really know what it is.

Have you tried putting a water hose with the nozzle set to full jet into the hole to see where it goes and to help clean it out?

Kim:kim:

Attachments

• 20200910_131011.jpg
    20200910_131011.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 48
welll that gets a grody award... :eek::suspect: and I hope someone will know what to do with it.... how far back does it go? Can you clean it with a hose and then use a spray bottle and spray 10% liquid chlorine in there to kill all that and see what your working with... Maybe post another picture after that...

WTH is that!?! I've been trying to figure out something scary to be for Halloween and I think I just found it.

My guess is that it is a fill line that is dripping fresh water and has been for some time. Since it is constantly wet it grew algae. That is total speculation but start there. It could also be an overflow drain that is somehow messed up and backing up into your pool. I would take some bleach and wipe that stuff off so we can get a good look at the pipe.

My bet is it's an aerator line that is slowly leaking. It is missing the screw in fitting which creates the fan shaped spray. Is there a valve on a 3/4" line at the equipmemt pad with a shutoff valve that you don't know the function of?

I've worked on cleaning it and no more than 2 days later it's back. We stuck wooden dowel in and its at least 36" in.
I remember early summer the honey 🐝 were interested in it. I think they were going in and out but haven't see any bees for at least 3 month. I'm going to get hubby to scrub it some more tomorrow with a better brush and take another picture.
If it does lead to something that can be turned off...well still have things all over outside that we don't know what they are. We parted on bad terms with the previous owner 😕 thanks everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh Jabeezes... Can you try and clean with some liquid chlorine (pool chlorine) and a tooth brush. Then take a pic from a different angle.. its kind of hard to see... all I see is yuck. If it seem like a PVC pipe, it might be a fill line. Is there an unidentified faucet knob somewhere?

And by all means send us picks of your pool equip if you cant ID it... what the heck.. post any pics you want of stuff you can't figure out. There is a pretty eclectic group of people here ...If they don't know what it is they will come up with some pretty creative ideas. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.