Leak where PVC comes out of concrete

Jmarbut

Jul 5, 2022
Cleburne, Tx
Hello, new member here. Looking for tips and tricks to repair this PVC line/fitting which is right at the concrete equipment pad. Fortunately it a very slow leak and is just seeping and not spraying! Rather than having to bust out concrete to repair I saw a Youtube video on using a electric heat gun to un-glue the fitting for repair. Any thoughts or experience with this type of repair? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DA72E25C-F644-4BA6-8105-AC2B972CDE47.jpeg
    DA72E25C-F644-4BA6-8105-AC2B972CDE47.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 25

Sch 40 PVC Pipe Extenders​

PVC pipe extenders are usually used in repair situations where you need an extra bit of pipe to connect to your fitting, valve, etc. Pipe extenders work by fitting inside Schedule 40 PVC pipe on one side, and fitting inside a standard socket fitting on the other side. In essence, the existing pipe is extended a short length. These PVC pipe extender fittings are only compatible with Schedule 40 PVC pipe of the same nominal size. The are NOT compatible with Sch 80 pipe or any other types of pipe. Like a standard fitting, these extenders must be adhered using solvent cement.

Sch 40 PVC Pipe Extenders
You won't find these at HD/Lowes, but my local Ace Hardware stocks them. You might check availability near you...

Thanks all for the info on pipe extenders. I never heard of them! I realize in my original post I did not say the leak is at the bottom of the tee so the whole tee has to be removed and re-glued on to the pipe coming up out of concrete right Unless I didn’t understand how the extender worked. Thanks, Jason

Sch 40 PVC Pipe Extenders​

PVC pipe extenders are usually used in repair situations where you need an extra bit of pipe to connect to your fitting, valve, etc. Pipe extenders work by fitting inside Schedule 40 PVC pipe on one side, and fitting inside a standard socket fitting on the other side. In essence, the existing pipe is extended a short length. These PVC pipe extender fittings are only compatible with Schedule 40 PVC pipe of the same nominal size. The are NOT compatible with Sch 80 pipe or any other types of pipe. Like a standard fitting, these extenders must be adhered using solvent cement.

I never knew these existed! This is the the sote that just keeps on giving.

I realize in my original post I did not say the leak is at the bottom of the tee so the whole tee has to be removed and re-glued on to the pipe coming up out of concrete right Unless I didn’t understand how the extender worked. Thanks, Jason
Since the extender fits inside the PVC pipe, the joint will be between the pipe and the extender. When you cut the fitting as James recommended, you want to continue to cut flush with the PVC pipe inside of the tee.

Here are few pics I posted elsewhere. Note the flush cut PVC inside the elbow:

1657070187735.png

This photo shows the fitting not fully seated (for effect).

1657070238376.png

After you make the cuts, make sure you dry fit the extender to make sure it forms a relatively tight fit. If, for some reason, it doesn't, you still have the option of using heat to remove the existing fitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.