Leak, stopped below return

bper

May 2, 2015
Phx, AZ
A recent high water bill, and damp area between the pool and pad led me to search for a leak. I shut off the autofill and it dropped about 7-8 inches over a week, and it appears to have stopped. The level now is below one of the 3 returns, which is the highest and closest to the pad. Water in the skimmer is about the same level as the pool.

I've done some digging and it looks like the 3 returns are tee'd off of a loop. The other 2 are still submerged. It's also not too moist around the suspect return, so I'm not sure if the return line is the source or not. I've also pot holed along the lines between the pad and pool (wet area) since I was curious to see where everything was and if I'd visibly see a leak. Not sure if I should fill the pool back up and see if the leak show itself or try some other methods before wasting more water? I thought of running a hose in the return jets, and also through the suction lines from the pump but I'm not sure that will be enough pressure to see anything.

Also of note, my multiport valve looks like its had some leaking over the last couple months (has calcium deposits on it from hard water) and I noticed the pump lid burp water when I backwashed a couple weeks ago so that needs a new gasket. The equipment has stayed dry since turning off the pump 12/7.

Some photos may help:
View attachment 71579leaklvl2.jpgView attachment 71581

Generally when the water stops at a particular location, we're pretty confident the leak is at that waterline location somewhere around the pool. To make sure we understand your description, has the pump been off as well since you turned-off the autofill? In other words, no water pressure applied when the water level dropped that 7-8 inches? I would suspect with all of that digging, you would be able to find a pressure side leak when the system was on as water would seep-out of one of the return lines back towards the pool. In contrast, if it was a suction side leak (from the skimmer to the pump) you could've experienced more air in the system than usual. But with the water level stopping at the 3 returns and your skimmer, I would focus on those areas for sure. Keep us posted and others will probably chime in with their ideas as well.

Thanks. Yes, I turned the autofill and pump off at the same time. I didn't notice air in the system but also have been paying much less attention to it at this time of year. Initially I thought it was the suction line because the leak slowed at the skimmer throat, but then it did continue to drop.

Besides the returns, don't rule out your light. I'm not real familiar with that Fiberstars set-up, but if the bulb sits in a niche of some sort, you'll want to ensure its seal is intact as well. Of course if the water loss stopped before reaching the light, I would think the light fixture is fine.

Invest in some plugs to plug the return(s) and your skimmer. Then fill the pool and see if the water level goes down, pump off. If it goes down then you have an issue with that one return where maybe the marcite is missing around the return collar.. If the water level remains where you filled it, then I would suspect a leak in a pipe.

Your returns don't have collars where they screw on/off to loosen or tighten the eyeball in place?

I'm going to do some more digging around the current water level and see what I can find. I will see if I can find some plugs locally as well. I do have collars around the return eyeballs, I just need to make or buy a tool to remove them.

The object above the return in the photo is a rock, not a tree. I removed a plant next to it, so I will see if it's roots were the issue.

Curious how you are doing. I'm in Mesa, AZ and experiencing similar. Our pool level just got to the height of the returns, so monitoring to see if stops or continues to light level. My suspicion is our light because it coincidentally stopped working, however not sure. I did just get my dye test kit so intend to try that near the returns.

I'm curious if you are getting into the pool this time of year to assess...frickin water is cccccold! :)

Good luck.

I haven't done much but monitor it since Monday but should have some more time to dig around today. The water level has been steady for about a week.

I haven't had to get in (yet?), but I'm hanging upside down over the edge a lot and my hands are often numb. I tried some food coloring around different penetrations but didn't see anything.

So your drop stopped after it fell below return level? I'm thinking I should get some plugs as mentioned earlier in the thread. My pool is right at the height of the returns today. I couldn't detect any movement with the dye around them. I may put a ladder into the pool so I can get a good look at light fixture. Hard to reach lying on the deck. Get in up to about thigh level to observe. Too cold to go much further for any length of time and still keep the water calm. Thanks for the response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water level is steady at 9.25 inches below normal, 6.25 inches below the skimmer throat.

Yeah chunky my leak stopped at one of the returns, but the other two are submerged (not all on the same level). However all three returns are tee'd off the same pipe which loops around the pool, so I'm still wrapping my head around that.

I'm going to plug the two ports at the bottom of the skimmer and re-fill it. One goes to the side vacuum port (the current water level is at about the center of this pipe) and one to the pump where I've seen the moist soil. From there I'll have to look at finding plugs for the returns and removing the eyeballs.

Seems if you plugged all three and filled back above that return where the the leaking stopped, assuming level holds, it would suggest one of those returns. I'm uncertain how the water backfills into the other pipes off that tee. Perhaps start unplugging the lowest return first? if it still holds work you way up? Hard to say how the lines are dug and piped near the walls where return is located. Does suck trying to go thru the process of elimination.

I was able to locate a leak in the return line. :santa:

There's a mess of fittings where it comes up to the pool and tee's into a loop. Once I dry it out a bit I'll see how much I need to patch or cut out and replace.

There is some concrete in there, is it necessary to replace for a thrust block?

I was able to locate a leak in the return line. :santa:

There's a mess of fittings where it comes up to the pool and tee's into a loop. Once I dry it out a bit I'll see how much I need to patch or cut out and replace.

There is some concrete in there, is it necessary to replace for a thrust block?

I've never heard of any "thrust blocking" in pipes. Probably from when they shot the shell and the hole wasn't covered.

Glad you were able to find it. My water level is still dropping. Just getting past the lowest returns. If it continues past, I assume the light fixture is the issue, which has been my suspicion all along since it quit working. Merry Christmas!

Here's a look at the leaking pipe. I still need to chip out more concrete to replace the section, I don't plan on replacing the concrete at the moment. I would say it's thrust blocked, I've installed a couple commercial irrigation systems. But I can't find much on doing the same for pools, and it leaked there so maybe it hindered more than helped?

1: 1.5" return loop around the pool. 2: 1.5-2" reducing tee. 3: 2" with bell end. 4: Assuming it's a 45deg street elbow? The leak is at that joint, where the bell end is inserted over the elbow. I'm planning on cutting the bell and installing a coupling, short run, 45, short run and another coupling to existing line, all 2".
leak-elv.jpg
leak-pln.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.