Leak or Evaporation?

Hi, can you please update with any new findings once you get them? I'm also in Vegas (NW) and have been having the same "issue" with water loss (quotes because I don't know if it's actually a problem). Since last Sunday, so over 5 days, I've lost 1.25 inches of water, which seems really high to me considering the temperature has actually gone down this week. I don't recall ever having had this steep of a drop in the water level, even in the hottest weeks of the summer here, and it's really worrying me. Did a bucket test last weekend is how I knew what the water level was, but something went wrong because I ended up with MORE water in the bucket, lol. Going to repeat tomorrow and will be happy to share results on Sunday.

I think it was a bad auto-fill (it was 5+ years old). And then the debris that was stuck in the outgoing auto-fill line likely caused some issues.

I also have a strong pump running for many hours, a spa that overflows into the pool - which all adds to evaporation.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but I don't think I have a leak. My pool guy was here today adjusting the new auto-fill and checking a few things.

How old is your auto-fill? Is it actually running to replace lost water? 1.25 inches since last Sunday is not out of the ordinary. If the water is not being replaced, you can easily lose a quarter of an inch of water a day under normal circumstances in Las Vegas.

Reactions: Noob
My auto-fill is actually dead at the moment (no water or sound and the water meter out front doesn't move at all) so fingers crossed that you're right and it's just evaporation. (But I do have another post up right now re a crack in my pebble tec that could be causing a leak also, ugh.) Bad weekend to do another bucket test, with the winds and 20 degree drop in weather, but I'm giving it a shot. Will update tomorrow. That's good news re your situation!

My auto-fill is actually dead at the moment (no water or sound and the water meter out front doesn't move at all) so fingers crossed that you're right and it's just evaporation. (But I do have another post up right now re a crack in my pebble tec that could be causing a leak also, ugh.) Bad weekend to do another bucket test, with the winds and 20 degree drop in weather, but I'm giving it a shot. Will update tomorrow. That's good news re your situation!
I'm not a 100% on my issue. The bucket test is not always a true indicator if the leak is very small or slow. When I had a legit leak in my auto-fill line, I tried the bucket test and it was too close to call.

Sometimes it hard for me to determine my pool level, because it's always a bit lower when my pump is running and water is filling up the spa and creating that waterfall over the spa wall into the pool. The pool equipment is possibly 15-20 feet from the pool, so the lines are long (over half acre lot).

Welp, I learned that water really does evaporate quite a bit at night! I did my test Sunday 5 p.m. to Monday 5 p.m., shutting off my pool pump for the entire time, and it looks like a loss of approximately 1/4" for both pool and bucket. Like you said, though, probably not 100% accurate. So I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Keep my fingers crossed too ... IMG_9753.jpgIMG_9751.jpg

Our highest evaporation is in the April-May and Sept-Oct time frames. Warm days, cool nights. Without a solar cover on the pool, you will evaporate quite a bit of water during those times.

Reactions: Toxophilite
Our highest evaporation is in the April-May and Sept-Oct time frames. Warm days, cool nights. Without a solar cover on the pool, you will evaporate quite a bit of water during those times.
Something I never knew and would not have expected! I always assumed evaporation would be the worst in July/August. Feel like I'm back in 7th grade science, lol. A pool cover is on the list now, for that reason, and because of our water situation here. My water bills the highest it's been in the 6 years I've had this pool. Doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon either. If you have a recommendation for a pool cover company, please share. Unfortunately, my pool is irregular shaped.

I get my solar covers from here. My pool is also irregular shaped and I just trim the cover to fit. It does not need to be perfect.

Whenever your pool water is warmer than the air temperature, your evaporation is highest. We do get evaporation in mid summer, do not get my wrong, but the shoulder months is when we get much cooler nights with water temperatures still elevated from the warm days.

I do not use a solar cover during June to August. The water will get too hot. The covers last two years as long as you clean them, dry them, and store them in a protected place when not using them. I cut mine in three pieces so it is easier to handle.

Reactions: Noob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.