Leak in underground Return Line - Can I still run pump until problem is fixed?

Ding79

Jun 3, 2019
Weymouth MA
I have a leak in the underground return line for my inground pool. I'm having someone come and repair in 2-3 weeks, but for now I would like to be able to still run the pump/filter from time to time to keep the pool clean, and to use it so I don't waste half the summer waiting (I live in New England, so pool season is very short). I understand this means I'll have to use a lot of water to keep it filled, but I'm just curious if this could cause any additional major damage if it's just short term use. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

It depends where the leak is and where the water is going. The water can wash out support and undermine things.

I would run the pump for the minimum time you need for sanitation. See Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool

Thank you for the info, the link is very helpful. I was at least able to get the water in good shape before I noticed the leak, so I will try to maintain the minimum pump time while keeping everything in balance. When the water is leaking, I notice that there are bubbles forming where the concrete patio meets the pool. I'm not sure what that would indicate as far as where the leak is starting from and what kind of damage it might be causing.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 33
Any way to close off a valve to shut down that return line? I see your deck is cracked near the return jet. You may have had a small leak for a while and theres some erosion under there. As recommended run as little as possible for now

Any way to close off a valve to shut down that return line? I see your deck is cracked near the return jet. You may have had a small leak for a while and theres some erosion under there. As recommended run as little as possible for now
I believe both return jets come from a single return line, but I'm not positive (I recently bought the house with this pool, so I'm still learning the pool's in and outs). There is a valve for shutting down certain lines, but I'm not honestly sure how it works. I'll take a picture tonight and post it if there's any way to tell from that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.