Leak in Summit Pool Heat Pump, video included, need advice on repair

It should unscrew pretty easily.

The brass is stronger.

You can't fix it without removing the part.

You probably need to cut off the end of the tube with the barb stuck inside.

You can replace the whole tube if necessary.

The threads need Teflon tape and/or sealant.

The tubing just connects the pressure switch to the plumbing.

Last edited:
The brass is going into threads in a PVC pipe. Don't tighten it down too hard or cross thread it as the brass is harder then the PVC and you don't want to damage the PVC pipe.

You might need a tap to clean the threads.

It might be this one, but I am not sure.

Be careful to not cross thread or tap too deep.

1716237935324.png

It is in the tubing.

Warm the tubing in warm water to make it pliable enough to push onto the brass part.

View attachment 574796
Thanks,

Just picked up the part and will have a go at it tomorrow, hopefully it goes okay, I’ll let you guys know.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: JamesW
Thanks,

Just picked up the part and will have a go at it tomorrow, hopefully it goes okay, I’ll let you guys know.
@JamesW @ajw22

Just coming back to this because I didn’t have time prior.

I removed the piece that broke from the hard PVC in the heat pump, but as you can see it’s just the piece that inserts in to whatever is still threaded in the pipe, I have no idea how to remove the piece that’s already in the pipe, there’s nothing for me to grab on to.

I included the piece I removed (sitting on the red), and in comparison I included the picture of the guy from the repair video who had both this piece and the threaded insert removed that was in the pipe.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    535.6 KB · Views: 3
If you have a broken part in the pvc pipe, heat up a flat screwdriver tip and push it into the center and unscrew.

The hot tip will melt into the plastic and create a slot.

Don't get into the threads.

If you have a broken part in the pvc pipe, heat up a flat screwdriver tip and push it into the center and unscrew.

The hot tip will melt into the plastic and create a slot.

Don't get into the threads.
@JamesW

Just coming back to this as I had to put it off.

So amazing advice on heating up a screwdriver, I’m not exactly in my comfort zone here and I was able to do it.

Next hiccup was that the hole size differed from the video and it ended up being 1/8”, so the hose barb I bought didn’t fit.

Went back to hardware store and they pieced together some adapters so that I could have a 1/8” piece that screws in to the pip and a 1/8” barb, the length looks a little ridiculous but hopefully the length will not be an issue, I should be able to try today, I bought some liquid teflon tape to put on every thread.

In case you tell me it’s crazy, I found the following online but will take a little while to receive.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get a 1/8 npt x 1/8 barb fitting.
Thank you, ended up driving 35mins as I found a store that had the 1/8 x 1/8 in stock, it’s not super pretty but it worked and is probably a lot stronger than what was there before, thanks again for all the support and guidance, I didn’t think I’d be able to fix something like this by myself and you saved me a lot of coin too; thank you!

Thank you, ended up driving 35mins as I found a store that had the 1/8 x 1/8 in stock, it’s not super pretty but it worked and is probably a lot stronger than what was there before, thanks again for all the support and guidance, I didn’t think I’d be able to fix something like this by myself and you saved me a lot of coin too; thank you!
And to conclude, Hayward tech services got back to me with the replacement part, Hose Barb Service Kit, part #SMXHP2215, which is just a brass hose Barb matching exactly what I got in the hardware store.

This way anyone ever googling it can find this thread and realize you can just but it for 1/20 of the price at your local hardware store.