Leak in in-ground pool....

Victor Newman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2014
Grants Pass, OR
Been playing around with finding the source of a leak....which is more than the "usual" 1/4 inch per day evaporation rate. My present thought is that the tiles/grout are leaking. Pool is 23 y/o, we are third owners since 2006. Think leak started 2-3 years ago. Tried squirting food color everywhere and the 24 hour bucket test(s). Nothing obvious.

My wonderful idea is to coat the tiles with a clear, waterproof substance and see if the leak slows down. Is this feasible ? I can call a leak detector outfit for a visit. Thought I would try this first. TIA.

I guess our first question would be are you confident the leak is at the waterline/tile area? Have you left it alone to see if the water drops any further?

Well, before you go too far, take a look at the article above if you haven't already. There's some good tips there. You might leave it alone to see how far the water level drops. If it keeps going below the waterline tile, it may stop at the skimmer or return jets. Sometimes the light (leaking at the rear). Of it drops below that, it could be a drain leak or hydrostatic valve. Some things to consider.

You probably won't find any but a very obvious leak using "loosey-goosey" methods. Pat is steering you in the right direction. You might try this modified version of the bucket test (which I admittedly just made up on-the-fly, but it should work).

This would be tough to do unless the pool is very still, at least once a day.

Put the bucket back in, weight it down, and fill it to the identical level as the pool. Then mark the bucket with a sharpie or water-proof tape where that level is. Wait 24 hours. Is the pool lower than the bucket? Then you have a leak.

Measure the distance between the water level in the bucket and the tape. Refill the bucket to the tape. Refill the pool the measured amount. So if the pool is leaking, and say the bucket is 1/4" lower than the tape, then you refill the bucket to the tape and refill the pool, but only with 1/4" of water (which is why it would have to be very still). The level of the pool would then be lower than the tape, and reveal how much water is actually leaking, not just evaporating.

What you're doing is compensating for the evaporation. You repeat this process every day. Eventually the pool's water level will stop lowering, and you'll know it hasn't lowered at all due to evaporation. It is somewhere along that paused water level that the pool is leaking.

Find something to gauge the distance between the coping and the water level. A tape measure or stick, whatever. Then you can refill the pool.

If the level stopped within the edge tile, repeat your dye tracing, but now you'll know where to concentrate your efforts, using the tape measure or stick to zero in on where the leak is.

If it stopped at the bottom of the skimmer, then investigate the skimmer mouth and inside the skimmer with dye.

If it stopped at a return, then you likely have a plumbing leak. If it didn't stop at a return, then you've got a leak below there, perhaps in the drain, and either way it's time to call in the pros.

Or avoid all that and call in the pros now and let them do their thing.

Last edited:
I do appreciate your comments. I have done the bucket test with pool filter running and not running....nothing jumps out to me. I have applied food dye around the tiles, in skimmer, at return jets, at Polaris fitting, at light, at bottom drain. Nothing I saw indicated movement of dye. Before I call in a leak detector pro......is there something I can apply to tile and grout and measure day to day ? Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't answer that question directly, did I? Because I don't think that is the right course of action, and I wouldn't know what material to suggest for that even if sealing your tile was a proper leak fix (which it isn't). You need to first determine where the leak is before you start considering how to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.