3 issues in my in ground pool and Jacuzzi.

Robob

Dec 1, 2022
Daytona, FL
I have at least three issues in my in ground pool and Jacuzzi.

1. There is a water leak from the pool at the tiles at the waterline when the pool is full. According to a leak detector service, that leak runs around 37 ft.

2. I have air in the strainer housing and in the return jets in the pool and Jacuzzi. In the morning when I check everything out before I turn on the pump the strainer housing next to the pump is empty. There is no water inside.

3. There is backflow from the Jacuzzi each night when the pump is off. The water level goes down about 1/4" a night in the jacuzzi. I did a die test and the water was backflowing from the return jet in the jacuzzi. When the pump is on the jacuzzi is off. Only the main return into the jacuzzi is on and the water is flowing over the waterfall opening into the pool.

We had a leak detector service come out and their report says that the pressure in all the lines are good. They found the 37ft leak in the pool at the tile/waterline. They indicated that the air leaks are from the ball valves on the suction side for the main drain, skimmer, and cleaner. Because of the high cost of all the repairs I decided to get a local pool service tech to look at the plumbing. He replaced the o-ring on one of the J valves as well as the lid on the strainer housing next to the pump that was cracked. This did not stop the air leak. I did the soapy water test on the suction plumbing and found nothing. There is no water under any of the equipment or above ground plumbing.

I decided to fill the pool to the usual level and not add water anymore to see what level the water would stop going down. I turned off the suction line from the skimmer. Every morning I would check the level of the water in the skimmer. Each day it was down around 1/4".

On the 5th or 6th day the skimmer was EMPTY. The water in the skimmer had gone from down about 2.5" to being EMPTY. The water in the pool was below the skimmer opening to the pool. You can hear water gurgling around the skimmer housing.

I believe that there is an underground leak in the skimmer line. That is what is causing the air bubbles as well as the water still leaking below the other leak at the tile line in the pool.

Am I correct?

Here is a link to a youtube vid of the skimmer with sound:
Skimmer & Sound

Rob,

I am not saying you don't have a leak, but 1/4" per day is about normal for most pools.

Your pump basket should stay full of water when the pump is off overnight.

A leak at the tile line would be odd and not very likely. Leaks are almost aways at the skimmer, the return lines, the lights, and the main drain.

Skimmers can leak down when the suction line back to the equipment has a leak, or the water can leak around the skimmer and into the ground.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and we can suggest some additional tests.

I assume that your skimmer has two holes under the basket, but the one closest to the water is plugged as your main drain is plumbed back to your equipment with a Jandy valve. Is this true?

No one can see your private video.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rob,

I am not saying you don't have a leak, but 1/4" per day is about normal for most pools.

Your pump basket should stay full of water when the pump is off overnight.

A leak at the tile line would be odd and not very likely. Leaks are almost aways at the skimmer, the return lines, the lights, and the main drain.

Skimmers can leak down when the suction line back to the equipment has a leak, or the water can leak around the skimmer and into the ground.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and we can suggest some additional tests.

I assume that your skimmer has two holes under the basket, but the one closest to the water is plugged as your main drain is plumbed back to your equipment with a Jandy valve. Is this true?

No one can see your private video.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the comments Jim. I'll post some pix tomorrow. The hole under the skimmer basket closest to the water is plugged. The video is now available. Sorry for that.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Rob,

I looked at the video and not sure what I am seeing/hearing

My guess is that the ball valve to your skimmer is leaking and the noise you hear is the pump sucking from the almost empty skimmer line.

Let's see if we can get poolman to give us his impression of the video. Calling @1poolman1

We never recommend ball valves as they go bad pretty quickly and they can't be rebuilt like Jandy valves.

If this were my pool, I would troubleshoot what is allowing the pump basket to drain back into the pool when the pump is off.

Shut off the pump and then listen to see if you can hear your filter draining or air being sucked in somewhere.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rob,

I looked at the video and not sure what I am seeing/hearing

My guess is that the ball valve to your skimmer is leaking and the noise you hear is the pump sucking from the almost empty skimmer line.

Let's see if we can get poolman to give us his impression of the video. Calling @1poolman1

We never recommend ball valves as they go bad pretty quickly and they can't be rebuilt like Jandy valves.

If this were my pool, I would troubleshoot what is allowing the pump basket to drain back into the pool when the pump is off.

Shut off the pump and then listen to see if you can hear your filter draining or air being sucked in somewhere.

Thanks,

Jim R.
All that plumbing should be re-done, especially to remove the tab feeder and the standard PVC fittings at the pump. Hold the pump and try to move the inlet plumbing. If it moves at all that is a suction leak. It can be sealed with silicone sealant.
Both Jandy valves likely need new diverters as, despite the grease cup on the side, virtually no one ever lubed them correctly. The seals in those go bad and break in spots. That would allow a raised spa to drain back to the pool.
The video noise sounds like a water cooler, water out, air in. If the pool leaked down to that point, pretty sure the leak is in the suction line, despite what a leak-detection company may have indicated. Sounds like water is still leaking from that pipe.
How far below the skimmer was the pool level? Not sure the evaporation rate in Florida, here it is about 1" a week in Spring - Fall. We finally got some rain and my pool is FULL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.