Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just finished a bunch of projects on my pool
1) added Jandy valve between pump and filter
2) moved the flow switch
3) ascorbic acid treated pool
4) added an iphone app by Mark that controls the control board.
5) investigating cause of my dim pentair intellibright lights.

I was happy with all I did and all I learned from the members of this forum but 2 issues this morning appeared and I want to get them out of the way fast so I can enjoy my pools.

1) the pentair pump which is variable speed and is controlled by a Hayward Prologic lost its settings (probably from keeping it off x 4 days during ascorbic acid) and has 0 RPM when the controller turns it on but I can manually bring it to proper RPM

2) Where the PVC inserts into the top of pump there is a small leak. Nothing spraying just a wet surface. I know this needs to be fixed before it blows or something but it occurs to me that unless I do it with expertise I could crack the pump rim. Is this something I should tackle myself and if so very specific ideas would be welcomed? I was thinking of cutting the pipe and using a heat gun to remove old glue and pieces but I really don't know.

I wish it had a union connecting the pcv to pump and that is how I would like to go. Is there a name brand coupling that would be better than others?

addendum: is this what I need? https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-410028-IntelliFlo3-Variable-Models/dp/B0CNKTYXS7

Attachments

• IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
That’s not the correct part. You need something like this:

That leak is a section of 2” PVC (threaded nipple) that if you could measure really well then cut and replace with a union without touching any of the other PVC. You could even add a union on the suction side too.

The pumps have straight threads whereas pipe fittings uses tapered NPT threads. NPT needs thread sealant and it looks like yours is just dried up or missing in the leak area.

This is assuming the leak is from the threads and not the actual body of the pump discharge.

Reactions: Lake Placid
Is that slip (solvent/glue) connected? If so, I would just turn the pump off, dry it thoroughly, and put PVC cement in the connection groove and let it dry for a couple hours or so before turning it back on. I have stopped leaks like that before with that method.

That’s not the correct part. You need something like this:

That leak is a section of 2” PVC (threaded nipple) that if you could measure really well then cut and replace with a union without touching any of the other PVC. You could even add a union on the suction side too.

The pumps have straight threads whereas pipe fittings uses tapered NPT threads. NPT needs thread sealant and it looks like yours is just dried up or missing in the leak area.

This is assuming the leak is from the threads and not the actual body of the pump discharge.
I am trying to understand the vocabulary bear with me. Where the PVC attaches to the pump outlet, is that threaded? If so might glue have also been used by previous installer? Can one remove that piece without ruining threads? What is a "straight thread" vs "tapered NPT thread"? What technique would I use to detach pump from pvc?
Is that slip (solvent/glue) connected? If so, I would just turn the pump off, dry it thoroughly, and put PVC cement in the connection groove and let it dry for a couple hours or so before turning it back on. I have stopped leaks like that before with with that method.
I do not know if it is slip solvent glue connected but I am kind of worried if it was and what effect it had on the pump threads.

Where the PVC attaches to the pump outlet, is that threaded?
Yes.
If so might glue have also been used by previous installer?
No.
Can one remove that piece without ruining threads?
Yes.

Cut the pipes and unscrew from suction and discharge and install 2" high temp unions.

21063-200-000200-9062" MIP; 2" Socket

1714317409311.png

21063-290-0002" MIP; 2" Socket Tail

1714317477017.png

UNION, 2" MPT x 2" SLIP, HIGH TEMP (200-906)​

Reactions: Lake Placid
If I have to disconnect the pvc with threaded end and add a union and if I consider putting a union on other end then maybe I should change the orientation of the pump if I have the room. Would like opinions on following please.
What if I tried to orient the pump in question like the other pump ie facing the Jandy valve. The pump appears to be 22 inches.
I have 26 inches between the edge of that valve and my house. Moving the pump would get rid of the 90 degree pvc just before the pump. The back of pump would hang 2 inches off the pad. Not sure if this is worth it but if I add 2 unions I might as well consider.

Attachments

• IMG_7252.jpg
    IMG_7252.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7247.jpg
    IMG_7247.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes.

No.

Yes.

Cut the pipes and unscrew from suction and discharge and install 2" high temp unions.

21063-200-000200-9062" MIP; 2" Socket

View attachment 568370

21063-290-0002" MIP; 2" Socket Tail

View attachment 568371

UNION, 2" MPT x 2" SLIP, HIGH TEMP (200-906)​

TY for the clarification. There are a few different parts here. I just need the top one right?

Attachments

• 1714318463125.png
    1714318463125.png
    73 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: william13
I would use the sweep 90 unions and a sweep 90 for the discharge to make the full 180.
Understood and like. Thank you. Is there any fluid mechanic reason to add any pvc height to this plan or can I just go with two sweeps and connect with pvc at a lower height. Also just taking votes on changing full orientation of the pump (see comment # 6 above). I would do if it made a difference functionally and if it would fit and not be harder to service .

Just saw your other message, you are proposing 3 similar pieces to turn the corner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding the sweep for the inflow, do they align precisely like the 90 degrees do as I try to connect to the Valve.
Regarding the fit. I have a 22 inch long pump and a 26 inch space between valve and house but I don't know what type of affect adding usions would have on my space limitations.

With the union, the pump will probably start at about the red line, so it has to fit from there to the wall and you need about 3" from the back of the pump to the wall for airflow.

1714319834024.png
1714319678373.png

Reactions: JamesW
Regarding the intake side of things. If I add union to intake and use a sweep is it likely that this will align with the valve or will I need to be adding some pipe with couplings or is this a question that is answered on the field. The reason I ask is that I will be removing (I think) that threaded pvc from the equation and it seems longer that the union I will replace it with.

The union will thread into the pump about 1.25" up to the red line.

The pipe will go into the union about 1.25" to the blue line and there will be about 1.25" between the front of the pump and the pipe.

If the union touches the valve, then you have about 2.5" between the pump and the valve plus 22" for the pump, which is 24.5" and that leaves about 1.5" to the wall.

Also, the union nut might not fit under the valve actuator.

You need about 1" of clearance from the actuator to the pipe.

1714320518451.png

1714320940704.png

A sweep union on the front and a sweep union on the discharge with a sweep 90 to make the horizontal to downward turn.

If the pump moves forward some, the discharge does not need to be perpendicular to the pump; it can be at an oblique angle (either acute or obtuse).

Note: Make sure to get pressure rated sweep 90s and not DWV.

You can use a regular 90 instead of a sweep 90 if that is easier to find.

This might be a crack forming.

If it is, it might keep leaking and there is not a lot that can be done.

Maybe use a strong sealant to install the union to help seal the leak.

1714321996573.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support