Leak Detection Advice

Jul 21, 2015
Rockledge, FL
I have an inground pool and spa about 7 yrs old. I've noticed in the morning, before the pump starts, that the spa water level has dropped about 4". It used to alway stay near the top of the spillover. I plan on getting some dye and a syringe to check around the spa jets, light and drain. I'd apreciate any advice on how to proceed and how to tell what to repair if it's not readily apparent (chips/gaps around edges). Also, whats the best material to use for a repair.

Is the level in the spa when it lowers about the same as the pool water level?

Check your check valves on the spa plumbing. Do you have automation?

Slow down GB fan. Before you jump to a leak, as Marty is alluding to, the common cause we see is a leaking or non existent check valve in your spa return allowing water to drain back to the pool when the pump is off.

No, It's still above the pool water level by about 4 inches after 16 hrs, but if the pump was off longer it might go that low. There are no leaks/water by the pool/spa equipment. I have a pentair intellitouch system for automation. The verturi air inlets are at the top of the spa deck/coping (avatar pic not that clear). Should I leave the pump off and see if the spa water level = pool water level? What would that show?

Post a few pictures of your equipment pad. Concentrate on the return valves/lines for the spa and pool.

Do you run the spillover continuously or use your automation to run the Spillway a couple times per day?

Just looked it up. I have 2 on the return side. I'll check the spa level with the pump off for a day. If the water levels equals out one or both may be bad? Can the internals of a check valve be replaced without having to cut the valve out and replacing it with the assoiciated PVC rework?

Post some pictures of your equipment pad.

Do you run the spillover continuously or use your automation to run the Spillway a couple times per day?

Can the internals of a check valve be replaced without having to cut the valve out and replacing it with the assoiciated PVC rework?

Depends if you have a Jandy type CV that has a clear cover with screws around it or a CV that looks like a bulge in the pipe.

Like Marty has been asking, post pics of your equipment pad and the valves.

The pics are attached. Had to reduce the size of the pic of the entire pad. Automation controls pool/spa return. Manual control for 2 spa returns. The spillover runs the entire time the pump runs, not a waterfall but runs over a wide tiled surface (can kind of see in avatar, blue tile between white).

Attachments

• Check Valves1.jpg
    Check Valves1.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 13
  • Pool equipment post.jpg
    Pool equipment post.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Returns.jpg
    Returns.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you have two SPA RETURN lines and they both have Jandy check valves on them.

Jandy 7056 Check Valve Replacement Kit replaces the top, spring and flapper.

Jandy CV Flapper.jpg

Thank-you mknauss & ajw22. You've saved me a lot of time, trouble and $$. The cover on the check valves says Pentair...do you know if the Jandy and Pentair replacements are interchangable? I'll probably buy the Pentair so I have no issues. Thanks again!

Thank-you mknauss & ajw22. You've saved me a lot of time, trouble and $$. The cover on the check valves says Pentair...do you know if the Jandy and Pentair replacements are interchangable? I'll probably buy the Pentair so I have no issues. Thanks again!

No, they are not interchangeable. Get the Pentair equivalent replacement part.

PENTAIR | CHECK VALVE REPAIR KIT | 263042Z​

Other option is to set up a Spillover function and you will not need the check valves. When in Pool Mode the spa suction and return will be closed. When in Spillover, the spa return opens. You program that for 30 minutes or so twice a day and all is good.

An update on my check valve problem...

I replaced the check valves with 2 new Pentair kits, they were needed since the flappers were disintegrating. They have a very tight fit and had some problems with the o-ring pushing out from the edge. Had to press it in as I slowly tightened the screws. Works great, problem fixed! Thanks!

mknauss, When in pool mode we have the spillover active as you describe, with the spa returns partially open and spa return closed, since we enjoy the wet look of the water over the spa spillover tiles. I know it's form over function, but would like to retain that look.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.