Leak Between Coupling and 90 Elbow - Not Enough Room to Cut and Glue New Fittings

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
Last year, I helped my neighbor plumb his above ground pool with rigid PVC. Before this, he had flexible black houses that had leaks all over the place. A couple weeks ago, he had a new liner installed, and apparently, the installer damaged the return line going into the pool. He installed new fittings to fix this but supposedly had no 90 elbows. Seems so odd. My neighbor asked if I could help him finish the repair, which I did. I got the 90, applied the PVC cement and primer, and glued everything. We finally tested it this evening, and there is a drip at the bottom of the joint. I can't believe it, as I've very rarely had a joint leak. Technically, I can't tell if it's my joint or the coupling that the pool guy installed that's leaking (there is almost no gap between them), but it's probably mine.

I'm trying to figure out how to most easily fix this. If I were doing this on my own pool, I would prefer to just replumb it, if possible. I guess I would have to redo the fitting at the return, but I'm not certain. I also thought that I could cut between the elbow and the coupling, ream out the 90 with a reamer, replace the union valve, and reglue everything. Unfortunately, my neighbor is not as flexible and just wants to do the easiest possible repair. He just doesn't think it's worth the effort. I've read where people have used Loctite marine epoxy or have slathered on PVC cement. I don't know if either of those would be a possible option. As you can see in the pictures, it's a very narrow gap between the joints. The drip seems to be at the bottom, but I guess it could be flowing from somewhere else.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

**I am not very familiar with above ground pools, but there is clearly some kind of rust issue going on. Unfortunately, he has no interest in fixing it, so there isn't much I can do.**

IMG_7681.jpgIMG_7682.jpg
IMG_7684.jpg

I've read where people have used Loctite marine epoxy or have slathered on PVC cement. I don't know if either of those would be a possible option.

Yup, some folks have said that fix worked for them.

What do you have to lose by giving it a try before you do more extensive surgery?

Read PVC Repair - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.