Leak at filter drain plug

brew4eagle

Jun 2, 2016
Stafford, VA
Have a decent size leak at the DE filter drain plug. Broke it all down today for a good cleaning. Drain plug o-ring looked ok, but seemed a little rigid (not as elastic feeling as a typical new o-ring) but no major cracks/brittleness. I lubed up the o-ring, put ~3 wraps of teflon tape on it and put everything back together. Still leaking. So, going to order a new o-ring, but have a question-
Since there is an o-ring is it even necessary to put tape on the threads? If 'yes' do you recommend teflon tape or is thread sealant preferred (I have rector seal #5)?

Normally you would think the O-ring (if equipped) would provide an adequate seal. Since it did not, adding some thread sealant or tape seems like a reasonable fall-back option. Many times I slap teflon tape on threads anyways out of habit. I've used Rector seal before on other applications, just not a filter drain. But I think it's okay as long as it doesn't hamper future removal of the plug if needed.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have a feeling the o ring isn't in as good of shape as it seems. Hopefully the new one fixes it, just stinks that I have to take it apart again.

I also assume that a drain plug should be hand tightened and then an extra 1/2 of a turn or so with a wrench. Is that what others do? I've certainly had to overtighten this one trying to stop the leak and probably damaged/defeated the purpose of the o ring.

My drain plug is like a plastic hose bib/spigot, so I tighten mine snug is all. You have an O-ring though, so there may be a little more room for that extra 1/4 turn or so. Just be careful as to not go so tight that you crack the plastic down there. :hammer: Not a good way to start your weekend. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.