Leak at bottom of spa need **help please**

mojo1980

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Tenn
All-

We had a slow leak with this pipe at bottom of spa. It was covered by a grate. I can't see that the builder did much to seal this, can someone look at the photo in Pool Business and comment on what they see the rest of my spa is tile but need comment on the solution or lack there of one for the pipe at bottom of spa.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Where do you think the leak is around that pipe?

Does the water leak around the pipe, or through the pipe? How do you know this for sure?

When the water in the spa drains down, where does it stop?

Do you actually have a wet spot somewhere, or is the water just disappearing?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Does the water leak around the pipe, or through the pipe? How do you know this for sure?

Thanks,

Jim R.
It poured out of a whole about 3/4 centimeter from the pipe where it is black. It filled it up the bottom of the spa 3-4" when it ran out for 2-3 days maybe more, I needed to use a sump pump. Im trying to figure out why it isn't plastered or tiled. This black stuff looks like paint. Cant believe anyone would think this is a good idea....THoughts?

Thanks,

Jim R.

My water stops by the fittings. However, I dyed the spa fitting and pressure tested. There is no leaks there. This looks like mostly raw exposed gunnite there is no plaster or tile. I see my spa drain at night when I awake down a few inches it actually leaks into the gunite spa

I'm sure it is just me, but none of that makes much sense... :(

How about a couple of pica of the whole spa so that we have an idea of what is what.. Is this pipe in the sidewall at the bottom of the spa, or is it on the floor of the spa?

Does the spa spillover into the pool or is the pool and spa at the same level?

The more info you can provide, the better your chances are of getting the answers you need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm sure it is just me, but none of that makes much sense... :(

How about a couple of pica of the whole spa so that we have an idea of what is what.. Is this pipe in the sidewall at the bottom of the spa, or is it on the floor of the spa?

Does the spa spillover into the pool or is the pool and spa at the same level?

The more info you can provide, the better your chances are of getting the answers you need.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I provided that 2nd picture your mentioning. Hard to see it dark. Here the pipe is on the side towards the bottom the sump pump is in the drain.

The spa is slightly higher than pool it spills over to pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a lot of arguments with the builder they overshot the spa 2' and jackhammered. Just not a good experience, slow HOA complained. I ended up filling a BBB complaint but retracting during warranty period. They actually want to charge me as we had the pool less than 3 years but out of there 1 year warranty.

Normally when the pool is plastered the pipe penetrations are hand packed with plaster to seal it and the mud ring is set into the plaster. It looks like that was never done since the spa wasn't plastered but instead the ring was set into the tile thinset bed leaving the gunite exposed and unsealed around the suction line.

The fix is as I mentioned above

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo1980
Normally when the pool is plastered the pipe penetrations are hand packed with plaster to seal it and the mud ring is set into the plaster. It looks like that was never done since the spa wasn't plastered but instead the ring was set into the tile thinset bed leaving the gunite exposed and unsealed around the suction line.

The fix is as I mentioned above

First thanks for fix and explanation. Answered exactly what I was asking. I did have one last question, on the repair how long should this sit.

I can tell you I have a lot of efflorscense on the spa tile that is outward facing. Im thinking this water has the gunnite really wet as it was put underwater 3 years ago undone. How long should we leave it sit before applying your fix. Do you agree on efflorescence could be cause by this not properly sealed underwater? Is it reasonable to ask the PB to clean the spa while I am at it.

The gunite should always be waterproofed before installing tile and it sounds like yours was not. You have water leaching through to the negative side of the spa wall and unfortunately this will cause the tile to fail down the road.

The repair can be submerged 24 hours after completion

It was waterproofed have the pictures
The gunite should always be waterproofed before installing tile and it sounds like yours was not. You have water leaching through to the negative side of the spa wall and unfortunately this will cause the tile to fail down the road.

The repair can be submerged 24 hours after completion
ywah I have the picture of the spa it had a gyroband after gunite. I’m thinking wet gunite from leak is giving gunite water to cause the problem so hopefully good now

They went to the trouble of waterproofing the spa but didn't bother around the suction lines?

Are you sure the leak is where you are saying?
Im not sure the function of the the bottom piece. The whole spa is finished but that piece. Looks like plaster crew missed it. There was hydroban I think the plaster crew missed this when they came through. That or it was intentional. This is the only unfinished area of the spa or pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.