Leak around pump

Sep 16, 2017
Houston, TX
Pool built in 2008. 2018 pump moter went out - replaced motor and seal. Spring 2020 saw water around base of motor area, call and they replace the pump and the seal again. Fall 2020 - saw water again - they said mechanical seal failed and replace that. Now I see water again. New story is when pump went out in 2018 probably warped the housing so the mechanical seal won't stay so they are suggesting replacing the housing and seal - which they are saying is a $450 answer plus labor. I have been using the company that built our pool, but am losing faith. A new pump ( from someone else) would be @ $1000 installed but would give me a 3 year warranty - versus the 3 month stuff I have been getting. So
a. should we consider just replacing it all?
b. doe the housing answer sound plausible
c. Since the pump seems good, do I see if I can find someone else to replace just the seal for less?
d. ???

As a sub-note we may be moving within the year - my husband has suggested just waiting since it doesn't seem like much of a leak and getting it fixed when we decide to move. To me that plan seems like it could end up being more expensive - then again this has been a little nuts.

Attached is a picture. I can not tell exactly where it is leaking, but when I put a paper towel under the vents of the housing a small wet spot ( about pea size) will be on the towel when I take it away. The picture shows the amount of water after about 3 hours of the pump running. Thoughts?

Attachments

• pump water.jpg
    pump water.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 10
I would order a new Salt or SCS seal and repair kit and change it out yourself, takes no time at all and really is easy... They are probably using the cheapest seal they can so they can get repeat service calls..

Call inyo and give them your pump model number.. the kit will have a seal, order the salt or SCS seal separate as it IS A WAY BETTER Seal..

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: crusemm
I would order a new Salt or SCS seal and repair kit and change it out yourself, takes no time at all and really is easy... They are probably using the cheapest seal they can so they can get repeat service calls..

Call inyo and give them your pump model number.. the kit will have a seal, order the salt or SCS seal separate as it IS A WAY BETTER Seal..
So the comment on the casing being warped is BS? and SCS is silicon Carbide Seal? Reading other posts people mention different seals around the pump/ motor - is there just one and people are using different names? If not will you be specific on which one I would be wanting to replace? By simple to do , do you mean unbolt, replace, bolt? Husband just went through knee replacement surgery, so might be up to me. Thanks.

not sure what pump you have but here is a video... It does not take much time and I did mine on my kitchen table with a towel laid down :)

Reactions: Gingermom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.