Leak after a storm

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
We had a thunderstorm with high winds a few days ago. We came home to a skimmer basket full of leaves and sticks. The pump lost prime and there was water and bubbles pulsating out of the return jets. After cleaning up the pool, I managed to get the pump working again, and it appears to be working normally now without any strange noises or bubbles in the pump basket. The morning after this happened, I noticed that we had lost about a half inch of water overnight with the pump off. The ground around the backwash line was wet so I moved the multport handle around in case it wasn't seated properly. Yesterday, we appeared to have lost about 1/4 inch of water during the day with the pump on, which is less water than we lost overnight with the pump off. I checked the pool this morning, and it doesn't look like we lost any water overnight with the pump off like we did yesterday. Since this started happening after the storm, I'm concerned some damage was done while the pump ran for 30-45 min while the skimmer was full of leaves and the pump lost prime. We had a leak in a return fitting a few years ago so I'm concerned that the return lines could have been damaged since water was pulsating out of the returns for 30-45 min. Could anyone tell me what kind of damage can be done when you run the pump while the skimmer is full of leaves and it loses prime? I dye tested the skimmer and return fittings and I didn't see any evidence of any leaks in those areas. I don't see any water around the pump and there are no bubbles in the pump basket or coming out of the returns. When the pump is running, I don't see any water trickling out the backwash line but the ground was wet around that area when we first discovered the leak, even though the pump had been off.

How did the weather change after the storms rolled through? We are getting to where we have warm days with cool nights. With warm pool water the cool nights create much more evaporation. You may just be seeing differences as the daily temperature changes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.