lead screw on pump won't tighten

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
I replaced the motor on my pump and now I'm reinstalling. I successfully connected one of the two leads, but I was having difficulty seating the other lead under the screw that tightens down to hold it in place, so I removed the screw completely to make it easier to position the lead wire under the screw. Perhaps this was a mistake, because now the screw will not tighten. It just keeps turning. The terminal has a male spade connector, but I'm assuming I would need to solder the lead wire to the female connector (which I cannot readily do) if I take that route. Am a missing a simpler solution?

Warmest February on record (I'm guessing) lead to a green pool, so I need to get pump running ASAP. :-(

Maybe try a different screw or use a nut on the back of the screw or drill and tap the hole to use a different screw.

Make sure the back of the screw is not too long such that it makes contact with any metal behind the plastic board.

It looks like there is already a built in nut on the back of the hole. I can't get into a position to see the back of the other hole to compare. Trying to imagine holding another nut in place behind the hole while tightening screw. Sound idea for sure, but won't be easy.

There are two screws that hold the board in place.

Pull off the black jumper and remove the two screws to access the back of the board.

Make sure to take a picture of how the black jumper is set.

There are wires that connect to the back, so be careful.

You can remove the board to drill and tap the hole to a bigger screw size or maybe get a longer screw and put a nut on the screw and then tighten the screw while the board is still loose.

If your wire was stranded, you could use a 1/4" flag female spade connector, but that won't work with solid wire.

1677693408241.png

Last edited:
Here is the back of the board.
626536-001-rear.jpg

626536-001-top.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.