Large Chip in Plaster

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
Our plaster is about six years old and, several months ago, it developed this chip on the floor of the pool:

attachment.php

It's about 4" in its longest dimension.

Back when I first saw it, I called the outfit that did the new plaster and one of the partners came out to take a look. He said it was because the chemistry was not handled properly* when the plaster was new, but he'd have his partner come out and patch it at no charge (Nice!). However, the partner never came and they stopped returning my calls (not nice).

What is the best way to get this patched? Is there something more I need to do than just smearing some plaster into the chip? There is a permanent dirty stain heading downhill from this chip and now it's developed those crystals. Does this indicate there's a hole to the soil underneath? I fear this chip is over one of the holes they drilled through the gunite before draining the pool and now ground water is pushing up through the crack. :pale:

If I do need to hire a professional to patch this, what might I expect to spend (rough ball park) and can it be done without draining the pool?

Thanks in advance!

* I did the new-plaster care myself and was meticulous in keeping the chemical balance in the recommended ranges on a daily basis for the first several weeks.

Attachments

• pool_chip.jpg
    pool_chip.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 62
Thank you for that link. It describes several problems we've been seeing with our "new" plaster and all, apparently, are the result of improper application of the plaster. :(

Well, now I know one pool builder I won't recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.