Laptop to use by the pool

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'm looking for a laptop with keyboard to use out by the pool. Sooooo, it needs to have a screen that shows up well in the bright sun - at least under the umbrella. Are there any that can take the heat?

I've never had a laptop, so I'm clueless. No major computing tasks - reading TFP and posting, checking email, searching the web. Thanks ya'll!

Get a MacBook. Much better than any WinDOHs machines and the screens are phenomenal!!

What's the intended purpose - web surfing (we know you only ever check TFP, right?) and e-mail or complex high-energy nuclear physics calculations ?

Either way, can't go wrong with a Mac

Get a MacBook. Much better than any WinDOHs machines and the screens are phenomenal!!

What's the intended purpose - web surfing (we know you only ever check TFP, right?) and e-mail or complex high-energy nuclear physics calculations ?

Either way, can't go wrong with a Mac

Sorry, I use Android. Decades ago, I used all Mac and Apple (loved them!), but I had to switch to pc's for my job. When I entered the smartphone world, I started with the iPhone, but after a week realized it was far smarter than me! The Android is easier and more my speed. (except for transferring my music playlists - Ugggghhhh)

:laughblue::laughblue::laughblue: Yeah, right - complex high-energy nuclear physics calculations!!! I do try to read your posts so I can pretend I'm smarter than I really am, but usually, I just end up seeing double! I'll leave all that high-fallutin' science to you and the other geniuses around TFP. :bowdown:

For now, I pulled out my Google Nexus 10 tablet, dusted it off, and am giving it a much needed charge. I'm looking into keyboards I can pair with my tablet. I'm not sure I've ever used the Nexus outside - the screen out there will be the real test.

Thanks to everyone for steering me away from a laptop - saved me some $$$$$!

Suz

Android users are awesome!

Nearly all of my 21k+ posts are from a Samsung Tab and at least half of those are from my pool or my hot tub tub! I use it for everything, budgets, spreadsheets, email, paying bills, reading books, TFP, everything! :paddle:

Ohhhh, thank goodness I have no idea what that means! Let's keep it that way, ok?!!!

Now, I'm off to my pool!!! :splash::paddle:

I still haven't yet fully accepted the "Graphical User Interface" .... I'm a command-line guy. 8-bit monochrome green displays 4-ever!!!

I second the tablet suggestion - better battery life, much lighter and more portable than a laptop. I personally use an iPad Pro and love it. Most laptop batteries will be stressed outside in the summer heat.

So since you're an Android user, I'd really consider looking at one of the nicer Android tablets. I used to have a Galaxy Tab back in my Android days and it did well for web browsing, email, etc.

Best Android Tablets of 2017 | Android Central

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use them all but mainly a MacBook Pro and iPads around the pool since my Windows laptop is tethered to a monitor and keyboard. I loathe this MacBook but it does have a nice display. I am a PC guy by trade so I have had a hard time adjusting (it was free to me). While the display is nice what isn't is the wifi adapter. I have not looked into the specs but all my iPads, iPhones, and laptops outperform the wireless by far. I finally just got Google Wifi Mesh to fix the issue and it has well above my expectations. So if you have strong wifi, go for it albeit it is not a cheap laptop. If I had my choice, I'd look at a Surface just because I am a Windows kind of guy.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions! I've definitely got some more research to do. Yesterday's trial didn't go so well for my Google Nexus 10 tablet. It was fully charged, and the battery died within an hour or so - before I really used it. I need to do some research on that, too. Sometimes I wonder just how great technology really is! :scratch:

How old is it? I recently had to upgrade my iPhone from my old iPhone 5 to a 7 because the battery would no longer hold its charge and the voltage instability would cause me to not connect to cellular or WiFi. I really wanted to hold out for the iPhone 8 but I couldn't wait until Sept.

Most built in Li:ion batteries won't last more than 3 years or so especially if they stay discharged for long periods of time.

Yeah, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 battery lasts many hours, even with the screen on high enough to see in the sun. It'll last all day if the brightness isn't turned up all that much. It is 1-2 years old.

Matt: How old is it, you ask? Lol! I pre-ordered it and received it as soon as Google mailed out the first ones - October or early November 2012. I loved it and still do, but I got out of the habit of using it. I had a gsiii and eventually used it for everything.

You're right about the battery. I did some research this afternoon. It's old, and I left it discharged too long. A replacement battery is $70 on Amazon. So do I buy a new battery for it, or look for a new tablet or even laptop? I definitely want a keyboard.

The search continues....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.