Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a 20'x40' inground concrete pool with 10'-15' of Bermuda grass between the pool deck and a natural area. The natural area has dried leaves and pine straw (typical for the Raleigh area) and lots of trees. Because of the tree droppings (whirlybirds, spiney balls, hickory nuts), we are removing all the maple, sweet gum, and hickory trees. We are leaving a few big pines and several white and red oaks, but these are further back in the natural area, away from the grassy area and the pool. Once the bad trees are gone, we'd like to plant some pool-friendly trees for shade and aesthetics. Which brings me to my question: what ARE pool-friendly trees? Color would be nice, but of primary importance is NO droppings other than leaves in the fall (by then we should have the winter cover on, so leaves aren't much of a concern). I think I'm in Zone 7 in the Raleigh, NC area. Thanks in advance.

The best trees for a pool are NO trees. Possibly try fake trees? Ha! I clean leaves out of my pool daily. Worse beginning and end of the season of course. We already had mature trees in the pool area. If we were to have started fresh it would be no trees with leaves.

Around the pool Holly's do well and are evergreen. Realistically you want only evergreens. Prevailing wind direction matters though for both leave and pollen dispersal. We did just plant 3 7 foot tall Eastern Red Cedar trees for privacy.

Reactions: markayash
Around the pool Holly's do well and are evergreen. Realistically you want only evergreens. Prevailing wind direction matters though for both leave and pollen dispersal. We did just plant 3 7 foot tall Eastern Red Cedar trees for privacy.

Great idea! We're actually thinking of planting a row of hollies as a privacy barrier. They grow well here and there is a variety (forget what they are called) without the sharp tips on the leaves.

We plant banana trees. ? I looked at palms but they are can be messy and some are pokey.

You do not want crepe myrtle ??‍♀️ PB swore the existing ones would not be a problem. ??‍♀️ One of them is laughing at us and dropping non stop.

You do not want crepe myrtle ??‍♀️ PB swore the existing ones would not be a problem. ??‍♀️ One of them is laughing at us and dropping non stop.

Yes, crepe myrtles are colorful, but they do drop a lot. Very messy. I'm thinking maybe some seedless maples for shade and a few dogwoods for springtime color.

Reactions: Tena
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.