Landscaper building pool....caution flag or acceptable/safe?

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
When I started my project I knew I needed landscaping and pool building

I have been meeting with PBs who have C-53 licenses (swimming pools) and landscapers who have C-27 licenses (landscaping)

Today I met someone who was referred from neighbors and did a bunch of pools/backyard projects in the neighborhood (I've seen their work and was impressed)

The odd part is the background check only turned up a C-27 landscaping license. I mentioned it during our chat and he said it was ok b/c the subs he uses for the pool portions have proper C-53 licenses

I'm totally new to all this and just want to verify the information (hopefully you guys here at TFP can chime in)

The CSLB tips on selecting a contractor in california say the following:

"Other contractors, such as plumbers or landscapers, should work within their license classification, and cannot be responsible for the overall project. Landscape contractors may contract for a swimming pool, if it is part of a larger landscaping project."

I am doing pool and landscaping. I think that makes this situation totally fine.

I'm not making a mistake with this approach right?

Just trying to avoid a stupid move if I select this contractor and I'm wrong.

Basically I need a double check from someone who knows more than I do.

Chances are he is just the middle man who will get in contact with another pool builder to build the pool and take more of your money. I would have the pool builder do the pool without any landscaping and have the landscaper do all of the landscaping.

Chances are he is just the middle man who will get in contact with another pool builder to build the pool and take more of your money. I would have the pool builder do the pool without any landscaping and have the landscaper do all of the landscaping.

no its not one of those arrangements. i ran from the people who gave me that vibe.

this guy oversees it all he just has a landscaper license instead of PB. we were talking design and plumbing and everything during our visit

Different state but that’s how my PB worked. He was a landscaper. He designed and specified the pool. Then uses a one man PB to do the pool itself.

Worked great. I chose him because of the hardscape expertise and the site was on a sizable slope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.