Lame tile guy did this

Spookie

Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2014
Highland, CA
I designed my own pool and am usually pretty observant. Wasn't until I was in the spa for the first time a few days ago that I noticed one of my 2 skimmers has a larger opening than the other. Guessing it’s not the biggest deal, but would like to hear what others think. Builder plans to add make the skimmer with the larger opening match the one with the smaller opening. I’m thinking I’ll let it be since the one with the larger opening seems like that was the one done correctly?

Tile also screwed up on the spa spillways. They are not level and water does not flow out of them both at the same rate. That, they are coming to fix.
A2C7AC2D-E314-4C2E-BB86-AF2125A651E9.jpeg

I'd want them making the the second picture match the first picture. In the second picture, if your water level is a bit high, the skimmer won't function properly because the water level may be above the top of the opening.

As for the spa spillways, you can suggest the guy uses a laser level when he re-works them.

The smaller skimmer is useless. The bottom of the intake for both skimmers need to be at the same level. Have them open up the small skimmer. The large opening is correct. You can have that much variance in the water level and you want the skimmer to function.

Thanks for the replies.

So when I spoke with the builder regarding the skimmers, he immediately called the tile guy and then called me back. Tile guy said because the flagstone piece he used above the skimmer (the one with the smaller opening) did not cover the entire length of the opening (open part of the bond beam) he first placed a piece of slate tile across the top of the skimmer, and then the flagstone on top.

I also found this photo showing the skimmers are level with one another but for some reason it will not attach...says it’s too big for the server? Also, I verified both skimmers skim at the same rate. The issue of the different size openings is not effecting the flow to the skimmers.

My builder is amazing. They will do whatever I ask to fix it. Just wondering if it’s necessary to correct the issue if my skimmers are working properly?

It did let me attach a photo I took today, but it’s basically showing he same as my previous photo. But yes, I’m 100 percent sure the skimmers are level with each other.

Thanks again,
Mike834E1480-A489-4238-883D-C2D9DCB336CD.jpeg

While both skimmers are working correctly at your present water level - if the water level is higher than the restricted skimmer, you will not get correct skimming action from that skimmer. Personally, I'd have him fix it correctly - from a functional and aesthetic perspective.

When viewing while in the pool, both skimmer openings should match.

Reactions: Chickinvic
If the builder installed the skimmers at the same level, then it should just be a matter of taking off the top flagstone, removing the extra slate piece the tile guy used and then replacing the top flagstone with one that is the correct size (or the top flagstone plus the ones on either side). This needs to be fixed. Don't let them con you into "it'll be fine".

Reactions: Chickinvic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is very poor planning with the coping stones. My builder had them all laid out and fitting properly before mortaring an of them. I vote have him fix that it's not right.

They will be coming to fix it. I’ll look into that and even have the stainless steel plate for them if needed. The foreman is pretty irritated that the mason did that. They are going to send a different mason to fix both issues per my request. Thanks for the info.
Mike

They will be coming to fix it. I’ll look into that and even have the stainless steel plate for them if needed. The foreman is pretty irritated that the mason did that. They are going to send a different mason to fix both issues per my request. Thanks for the info.
Mike
Glad to hear this. What they did was ridiculous. Your operating range of water levels with that setup would have been very small to have effective skimming from both. You will be MUCH happier long-term with them both properly at the same height.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.