Ladder full of algae

Hello all,

This is my second year owning a pool and first closing it myself. I just went to remove my ladder (basic plastic, five steps, fills with water to keep from floating) when I noticed a rather bad smell. I got the ladder out and tipped it over to get the water out and noticed that the bottom of each step had some algae and mold on it. As I continued to tip it, a large slug of greenish-black, almost chunky water came pouring out of it.

I didn't remove the ladder last year (I had the pool closed by a local company), but I don't remember it having anything on it when I put it away. I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal? I imagine that the water doesn't circulate much at all through the ladder. Is there a way to prevent this next year?

Also, is there a good way to clean out the ladder before storing it for the year?

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

No, that is not normal. Use a diluted bleach mix to clean the ladder well.

Your pool water has algae in it. It needs to be properly tested and most likely a SLAM Process process.

How do you test your pool water chemistry? How do you chlorinate?

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Absolutely not normal. I’m on my fourth season and have never experienced that with my ladder.

I also suspect algae in the main body of water.

Are you following the TFC closing procedure for your pool?

Wow! I've never heard of that at all. Do you have your own test kit? If you do, can you post some numbers of your pool water (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH and CYA). If you have some algae in you ladder (which by the sound of it is a sure thing), then you might have algae in your pool. Brush your ladder with bleach (diluted).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.