Krystal Clear Intex Sand Filter (16 in) 3000 GPH Pump - Overpowered for a 15ft x 48in Intex Metal Frame Pool?

maryrooney

Jun 16, 2020
Maryland
I'm just about finished with my first Intex pool setup I'm hoping someone can help answer a question that I haven't seen fully addressed in previous posts...

I have a 16 in 3000 GPH sand filter pump for my 15x48 Intex Metal Frame pool. I bought this filter/pump size thinking that more power would be better. But now I'm wondering if it's too much for my pool? The manual lists a minimum pool volume of 5500 gallons for this pump, and my pool holds only about 4800 gallons. Is anyone successfully using this pump with a 15x48 pool? Am I better off sticking with the basic (underpowered) filter that came with the pool to be on the safe side?

I'm just about finished with my first Intex pool setup I'm hoping someone can help answer a question that I haven't seen fully addressed in previous posts...
Welcome to TFP!
I have a 16 in 3000 GPH sand filter pump for my 15x48 Intex Metal Frame pool. I bought this filter/pump size thinking that more power would be better. But now I'm wondering if it's too much for my pool? The manual lists a minimum pool volume of 5500 gallons for this pump, and my pool holds only about 4800 gallons. Is anyone successfully using this pump with a 15x48 pool? Am I better off sticking with the basic (underpowered) filter that came with the pool to be on the safe side?
I don't think you'll find many that would say stay with the original pump/filter. If anything, an oversized pump & filter should allow you to run it less often.
That being said, we used an oversize Intex sand/filter pump on a 15x33 and loved it!
Now we have a bigger pool and we miss the oversized pump for sure! :D

You can use the 16” filter with this pool (I’ve got it running now) as long as you use adapters and plunger valves to connect the existing 1.25” hoses & inlet port to the 1.5” hoses that come with the pump. I’ve attached pictures of the adapters and valves that I ordered on Amazon. I’ve also attached a couple of pics of my setup so you can see where the plunger valves and adapters are attached to the inlet port and the connector for the two outlet hoses. Ideally you would use a double plunger valve for the two outlet hoses l, but that item is out of stock everywhere, so this part is a bit of a work around.871F8A13-3260-4EDA-ACC9-E9505A97D266.png67A41DA2-B004-4425-AA29-9CB64B1D4D34.pngE02B11CD-BA6A-420A-95BA-8B999A1785CA.jpegC678B92C-3ED6-4B0D-95CE-FE580C6A9989.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.