Krystal Clear 603 Pump has Weak Flow, Regular Troubleshooting Ineffective

RicOct0811

Aug 10, 2020
Fauquier County, VA
First post, new owner, etc.

I have a Krystal Clear 603 pump for my Intex 15’x33” pool, which I acquired in late May. I was due for a filter change, and once I changed the filter as I always do, the water was flowing, but poorly. I noticed air in the tubes, so I cut off the filter, bled out the air, and turned it back on. That usually works in this situation, but not this time. I can feel water going into the pool, but it’s far weaker than the usual rushing water and bubbles that I get. Nothing is blocking the inlets and I can’t find any leaks. Water is reasonably clean. If anyone of you far more seasoned folks have some ideas, I’d greatly appreciate them. Thank you for this forum!

Ric,

The number one reason for low flow is a dirty filter.. Assuming you have a cartridge filter and your water is green or cloudy, then that can clog a cartridge filter is a matter of hours.

Rarely is this a pump or plumbing issue..

As a test, you can take the cartridge out and run the system and see if the flow goes back to normal..

Green or cloudy is a chemical issue and not a filter issue.. The filters job is to capture what falls into the pool and not to remove algae.

You should read through our pool school.. I would start here.. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ric,

The number one reason for low flow is a dirty filter.. Assuming you have a cartridge filter and your water is green or cloudy, then that can clog a cartridge filter is a matter of hours.

Rarely is this a pump or plumbing issue..

As a test, you can take the cartridge out and run the system and see if the flow goes back to normal..

Green or cloudy is a chemical issue and not a filter issue.. The filters job is to capture what falls into the pool and not to remove algae.

You should read through our pool school.. I would start here.. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, Jim,

Thanks for your reply! The filter cartridge I dropped in was brand new, and as I stated, the water wasn't green or cloudy: it was clean, with some leaves/grass in it, but not enough to cause a major issue. I'll try it without the filter cartridge to see what happens. I will say the dirty filter cartridge I removed was rather filthy, including some white mold. So, while the water wasn't green or cloudy, I do need to shock the water (which I do weekly) and skim out the little bit of leaves in there, and grass that found its way in under the solar cover as I was mowing. Since you mentioned the filter's job isn't to remove algae, it may be that I need to revisit how much chlorination is getting into the pool. Then again, I have had white mold in the filter before, and replacing the filter cartridge and cleaning the water resulted in normal pump flow almost immediately.

I'll review the Pool School documents; no doubt they are rich in helpful information.

What I still don't understand (and maybe Pool School will tell me) is why the water wouldn't flow through as per usual after I changed out the filter. I've done this many times under the same conditions, and there's never been an issue. And as I stated before, bleeding the air out didn't have any effect.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.