Kit arrived, test results, what steps to add chemicals?

Amama

Jun 19, 2017
Holden, MO
Here are the test results using the Taylor K-2006 kit. I also listed the Pool Math app recommendations, but it's been a bit confusing lately and time consuming as it doesn't save any of my results

FC - 0
CC or TC - Didn't check this as I didn't have pink water to change into clear?
pH - 7.6
TA - 200
CH - 310
CYA - 0

I'm assuming I need to add CYA first? Then pump how long? Then recheck, then maybe the muriatic acid? Then chlorine?

Pool math says:
2 qts, 1 cup, 4 oz of Stabilizer
reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with 1 quart, 2 cups muriatic acid to lower pH
2 quarts, 3 cups bleach (with a target CYA of 40)
reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 then aerate?
Says replace 48% of pool water with tap water, that's where the calcium hardness came from already though, we aren't going to refill the pool halfway, that doesn't make sense?

Thank you for the help

How do I add 3 ppm, do you just mean add chlorine and keep checking until it's 3ppm? Run the pump for a while before adding CYA, or add both at the same time and then pump?

And the sock with CYA goes in or by the skimmer? I was thinking the chlorine would just dissipate without the CYA?

I did not wipe the tip during the TA test, you mean the tip of the dropper bottle? The strips we had before also said the TA was 200.

This is our first pool, sorry for the ignorant questions! Thank you so much

The CYA goes in a sock in front of one of your return lines (where the water goes back into the pool), this will help it dissolve quicker and get into the pool. Then you pour the liquid chlorine slowly into the pool also in front of the return line. I hope that helps. I promise it gets easier and you will start to understand more the longer you are testing and the more you are reading.

Use PoolMath, link at top of each page, to calculate the dose of bleach to raise FC to 3 ppm. Pout the bleach in front of a return while the pump is running. And also for calculating the CYA dose. Put the CYA in a sock or knee high and hang it in front of a return. You can give it a squeeze to help it dissolve faster.

More here about how to add pool chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

The TF-100 instructions for the TA test should say to wipe the tip on a damp cloth between drops. This is to eliminate static electricity that will make the drops smaller giving a false high reading. After a few tests the static won't build up anymore.

The chlorine will dissipate quickly in the sun with no CYA. Adding chlorine isn't a one time thing, you need to test and add more as it drops. But algae will grow in the pool with no chlorine. And it isn't safe to swim in a pool with no chlorine because it isn't sanitary.

Do some reading in Pool School
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.