Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Greetings all.

Summer Waves above ground 18' x 48" pool here in north Texas where it gets direct sun pretty much all day. It's been 95F and up for three weeks now. I have an Intex sand filter running and I was using an Intex SWG though I'm fairly certain the cell needs replaced so at the moment I'm using the summer waves SWG.

My FC levels have been near 0 and I'm finally getting a grip on it I think and trying this SLAM method. We have the wedding cake steps in the pool and the bottom/inside of those had a ton of algae. That's been cleaned up and everything vacuumed.

According to the pool math app it wanted me to add 338oz of bleach last night to SLAM. So I did that and the water was crusts crystalclear this morning. Went to the pool store and my numbers were:

FC: 10.48
TC: 11.74
pH: 7.7
Alkalinity: 97
Calcium hardness: 256
CYA: 80
Iron: 0.3
Copper: 0.2
Phosphates: 60
Salt: 3090

As i understand it my CC is (was) 1.26. Which means because it's not the same as FC there's still something in there eating up the chlorine right? So I need to slam again right?

I got a test kit at the store today and according to it the FC is still above 10 which is the max on the scale. But how do i know what it actually is so i know how much bleach to add to get up to FC 31 ?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Keep your SWCG generating as much chlorine as possible until you get your proper test kit.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Keep your SWCG generating as much chlorine as possible until you get your proper test kit.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
So this is the wrong kit?

Edit: Guess so. Looks like this one is missing the R-0870 powder and R-0871.

Why the TF100 over the Taylor K2006?

20200726_232335.jpg20200726_232436.jpg

Last edited:
You can add the FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test and that kit will work.

TF100 is a better value than the K2006C. You get more of the reagents you use and less of those that you do not use as much.
Ok I managed to find the fas powder and R-0871 at the local pool store. Guy went nuts when he saw my FC was over 15 saying I needed something to bring it down. Guess I can get to testing now.

Wow. That is unusual to find those products at a pool store. Good job.
I'm impatient. This kit has steps to test for salt levels but not the reagents needed? 🙄

At any rate, here's what I just came up with. CH might be a little off and CC 0-0.5.

Screenshot_20200727-155429.png

This kit has steps to test for salt levels but not the reagents needed? 🙄

At any rate, here's what I just came up with. CH might be a little off and CC 0-0.5.
The salt test kit is Taylor K1766. Need to get that separately.

With your CYA of 60, your SLAM level FC is 24 ppm. Raise the FC to that level and test and add more chlorine every few hours.
Read the SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.