Kids creating waves in pool. Can it collapse?

Sep 17, 2018
albany, ny
I can't find anything talking about collapsing a pool from people in it, creating waves. Like jumping up and down with a floatie around them, or trying to create waves back and forth. It gives me insane anxiety to watch my 12 year old try to make these giant waves. Can it collapse? I have a standard metal frame round 24 footer.

Are you talking about a metal wall above ground pool? They are very sturdy. If there is no rust damage to the wall it should be fine. Same with an Intex. They are designed to flex. As long as they are built within 1" of level the kids can splash all they want.
To let you see how tough these pools are...

While I would discourage crazy shenanigans, to set your mind at ease, I regularly run in circles in mine, creating a whirlpool. I do it to move any leaves and such to the middle, to make it easier to scoop them up in one go!

I have also tripped when coming down the ladder (before I got steps) and set up quite a tidal wave when I fell in. So, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I can't find anything talking about collapsing a pool from people in it, creating waves. Like jumping up and down with a floatie around them, or trying to create waves back and forth. It gives me insane anxiety to watch my 12 year old try to make these giant waves. Can it collapse? I have a standard metal frame round 24 footer.
This is my 15th WI summer with a 24' above ground metal frame pool and I wanted you to rest assure that creating waves won't be a problem. I had 2 kids with a million of their friends go through that pool during the years all doing what you describe making a wave pool with the floaty toys. We also have made probably thousands of swift whirlpools like someone else on this thread talked about. I did learn something yesterday tho as mine just collapsed :-( we were swinging the solar cover reel over which I knew was way, way, way too heavy from the bubbles being popped (old cover needing replacing, new one is in my trunk) and recent rains and when my daughter got it over to the reel stand the weight of it brought the side down. Our pool guy came out and looked at the pool seam and could tell that over the years we've had some of the bolts corrode and disintegrate so the stress of the heavily weighted solar reel on that end by the seam took it down. Up until that we've been creating waves and whirlpools all along with a seam that apparently had some missing bolts!!!!

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
While I would discourage crazy shenanigans, to set your mind at ease, I regularly run in circles in mine, creating a whirlpool. I do it to move any leaves and such to the middle, to make it easier to scoop them up in one go!

I have also tripped when coming down the ladder (before I got steps) and set up quite a tidal wave when I fell in. So, I wouldn’t worry too much.
Lol, I like to make whirlpools too, the neighbors probably think I'm crazy.

I wouldn't worry at all, we've had three above-ground pool with lots of kids in them all and none every collapsed. My son and his friends used to get the trampoline and drag it over by the pool and jump into it from there, creating huge waves. No issues.

When I was a kid I used to make huge waves all the time in my parents pool to the point they would splash over the sides. It never had an issue and I believe that was a 28-30' round.

If a pool can't handle that it's really not safe to be in.

Relax and let them have fun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.