Keeping tree gunk and stuff out of pool

HeidiP

Jun 10, 2017
Ottawa/ON, Canada
Due to site restrictions, we had to install our AGP in a spot that is INCREDIBLY treed (oaks) and it's MESSY with pollen and branches and caterpillar larva (barf) and I am going INSANE.

I bought a robot this year. <3 It's helping, but I want to help myself wherever I can. I was considering a clear tarp over top, then was concerned about wind. So then i considered getting punch in grommets to minimize the wind issue, and let some rain in. Then it came to me - that will look gross covered in pollen and trees etc.
So- I either buy painter plastic drop cloth and change it out every 2 weeks so my husband doesn't go insane with the mess (which looks tacky)
OR maybe I put up bird netting (1" holes, I know) OR buy another pool cover like the one i use in the winter, with the overlapping netting - and then the tree Crud largely stays out. I know -

POLLEN, I won't win
BRANCHES, I will mostly mitigate

EXTRA WIN- Could hang solar lights from it and make it look intentional?

Does anyone else have big plans like this? My backyard isn't a beautiful oasis, it's a work in progress all the time. I am a project STARTER not so much a finisher, and we have 4 kids. SO this has to be easy and quick-ish. I an use the surrounding trees to attach the net - with Zip ties - and can likely put little eye bolts into the roof line - I think the part is wood and so it would work - or even command hooks - those things do everything.

Wondering if anyone has done this. Ideally, I'd do a bubble greenhouse over top, but that's a) $$ and would also be b) pretty unattractive and then c) i would likely poison my kids somehow, which is NOT the plan.

Have you looked at sun sails? You probably don't need the extra shade, but they might help keeping some of debris out. You got pictures of your back yard?

The sun sail is a great idea - I'm just trying to stay away from further blocking the sun. I have one from Ikea that's pretty big, and it could do a decent job, but i need the limited sun. Unless my husband HATES the net, in which case, it may come to that. :) we also have a HUGE offset umbrella, so i guess that could cover 1/2 of the pool, but the sun issue remains... Thank you for the thought, because it COULD end up being where we end up going!

Images below show that we've got our oval against the house,

Attaching any netting overhead: An older wooden (shared) fence runs along the back side of the pool with the requisite 4 feet between the pool and fence - so we'd need to run something to attach the net - although now I'm thinking I could stretch a nylon rope, or a fishing line type something, which the hail netting could be attached to.

While we could attach netting to the lower roof (garage) even using staples etc - attaching to the higher 2nd/2.5 floor roof would be tricky and a bit too "in the trees" although I suppose it could slope downwards. (We have a split level, and the garage only has a 1.5 story roof.

You can see that we also have power lines we don't want to pass any netting through - over past the end of our pool.

Am I a crazy person, or would you want some leaf insurance too?

I don't mind doing this every year as part of setup (since we have A TON of snow, and would need to take it down end of season.

I realize that pool maintenance includes vacuuming but it's pretty intense.

Attachments

• IMG_9945.JPG
    IMG_9945.JPG
    678.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9946.JPG
    IMG_9946.JPG
    637.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9947.JPG
    IMG_9947.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 31
I recommend a Pooskim:
Oh! that is a very neat thing! thanks.
I'm worried stuff falls 24 hours and we run the pump 8 - does it grab enough stuff? Have you used this guy? I have never seen this product, it's super neat. I aM using 3m hairnets in the pool skimmer basket. :)

I second the poolskim. I have one and it works really well. I had a lot of oak tree and crepe myrtle debris land in my pool. A poolskim will grab most of it before it sinks if you keep the pump running.

Reactions: HeidiP
I was looking for something else to add to my US order, since I need to buy a new pool chem kit. :) (ran out of chemicals) This looks like it may be it. I definitely just realized that bird netting won't work to keep clear, since it's hazardous to birds. Hail netting maybe...

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.